Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a piece of 1/4 inch carbon steel which measures 4 inches by 12 inches and I would like to make a slingshot out of it. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I see lots of sawing in your immediate future.

Personally I'd do it with plasma, an angle grinder and a belt sander, but the long way with a hacksaw still works.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will trace an outline on the metal and then drill a series of holes all the way around the inside and outside of the outline, Then I play connect the dots with a hacksaw and file it smooth. It will take a long time to finish. I was wondering about rust, after all it is carbon steel purchsed at one of the big bos hardware stores. I was thinking about coating it with one of the epoxy paints in some strange color like pink. If I can figure out how to bond a couple of pieces of wood to it that would work well also.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Just slab it with epoxy, be sure to rough up the steel where you attach the slabs, drill a 3/16 hole top and bottom of handle and epoxy a brass pin in each hole, sand until you like it. You could also flare the brass after you epoxy it to also create a mechanical bond.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Trent, please keep us abreast of your adventure. Haven't tried this yet but it's on my list. Good luck, my friend.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
I have a piece of 1/4 inch carbon steel which measures 4 inches by 12 inches and I would like to make a slingshot out of it. Any suggestions?
Get a Bi-Metal cutting blade for a jig saw and it will cut it and go slow with some lubrication on the blade. Or if you can finde a carbide tiped jig saw blade. But your better off with a stainless plate.

·
Super Moderator
5,128 Posts
I will trace an outline on the metal and then drill a series of holes all the way around the inside and outside of the outline, Then I play connect the dots with a hacksaw and file it smooth. It will take a long time to finish. I was wondering about rust, after all it is carbon steel purchsed at one of the big bos hardware stores. I was thinking about coating it with one of the epoxy paints in some strange color like pink. If I can figure out how to bond a couple of pieces of wood to it that would work well also.
Polish it, have it hot-blued by a gunsmith. Then thoroughly degrease it, and apply a high-quality car polish. You should probably repeat the polish every six months or so, depending on how much you shoot it. I treated my Taurus revolver that way 15 years ago and it has never developed a spot of rust. I used Formula 2000 polish.

Henry

·
Banned
388 Posts
waste of good steel,make a decent knife from it and make a slingshot from a piece of aluminium.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could not find stainless steel locally at a low price. I considered aluminum but I don't have a local source for it. I purchsed the steel plate for a takedown rifle project but the friend who had the lathe sold it. I think I will put this project on hold until stainless steel can be located and a cheaper price comes around has the economic depression worsens. I may end up using aluminum even though I don't like working with the stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts