Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my slinging journey a little over a year ago and I've reached the point where I'm comfortable with my selection of frames, bands, pouches, shooting style, ammo selection, etc. I'm shooting 3/8 and marbles at what I consider to be good close range hunting velocities. However, the reality is that I will very rarely have the opportunity to actually do any hunting. So lately I've come to appreciate the benefits of lighter setups. Longer band life and easier to draw and hold. Having good luck with 3/8 clay and just shooting 3/8 steel with less ooomph.

I'm not looking to go super light with BB or airsoft ammo. Trying to decide whether to go with 1/4 or 5/16. Curious to hear the thoughts and experiences of those of you that are shooting mostly 1/4 or 5/16. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I shot 3/8" steel for a lot of years but a couple of years ago moved down in size to 1/4", 7mm and 5/16". For 20 yards I like the 7mm and 5/16". For 30-50 yards I shoot all 3 sizes. For 75 yards I like the 1/4" and 7mm. If I had to pick only one size it would likely be the 7mm. Thankfully I don't have to stick to one size.

1/4" = 16 grains

7mm =22 grains

5/16" = 32 grains

3/8" = 54 grains

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
Quarters get my vote - feels like shooting .22LR. They fly fast and laser straight with just single 1632 tubes (minimal draw weight) but 5/16 feels under powered with that preferred light setup. Also, Simple's new .4 tapers handle quarters quite well when tuned to your draw length. Economical fun.

·
Master of Swine Fu
3,156 Posts
Quarters get my vote - feels like shooting .22LR. They fly fast and laser straight with just single 1632 tubes (minimal draw weight) but 5/16 feels under powered with that preferred light setup. Also, Simple's new .4 tapers handle quarters quite well when tuned to your draw length. Economical fun.
cool.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am still pretty new. But the smaller the ammo, the more I drop it... Maybe I'm the only one with that problem. But for my fat fingers it is just how it works. So I get a bit more exercise picking up the smaller stuff

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
What Alfred said for me as well. 1/4's

I use them with 1632 pseudo taper tubes - shoot fast. Also can carry way more in your pocket while not hurting the pocket too much.

Also its a nice enough size to still pack a nice punch.
Agreed, they're essentially .177 BBs on steroids, with just enough mass to not be affected by air currents or wind, yet like a .22, a well place shot can be devastating.

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
Good point. They are about the lowest weight and readily available ammo that flies well due to its mass - and it flies quick, flat and is incredibly accurate.

I mentioned in another post recently. If I had to choose just one projectile type to shoot. It would be 6mm steel.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point. They are about the lowest weight and readily available ammo that flies well due to its mass - and it flies quick, flat and is incredibly accurate.

I mentioned in another post recently. If I had to choose just one projectile type to shoot. It would be 6mm steel.
Food for thought! I'm gonna give 1/4 a try. Will post results ASAP. Thanks everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts