Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a blowgun today. All parts for the blowgun and darts were around $10. Shoots hard and accurate. With these darts you can shoot accurately even up to 30 meters.

Materials:

- 5 foot copper half inch pipe. Pre-cut at home depot. All ready to go.
- Half inch pvc cap end (not sure what those things are actually called)
- Clear packing tape
- Electrical tape
- 10 inch bamboo skewers (you can find these at any supermarket or department store)

This is what the mouthpiece looks like.

1. Wrap electrical tape around the end of the pipe ensuring a tight fit for the mouthpiece.

2. Slide the mouthpiece on. It should be very snug.

3. Wrap electrical tape around the base of the mouthpiece.

Making the darts:

1. Cut a square piece of packing tape.

2. Wrap into a cone shape with sticky side outside.

3. Cut another square piece of tape and wrap around the outside of the cone (sorry no pic)

4. Using the end of the blowgun determine where you must cut the cone.

5. Trim the cone and cut the tip off and slid onto the bamboo skewer. Use a small piece of tape to attach.

6. If you are going for distance shots the front of the dart needs a little extra weight. You could use a broadhead which would work great or do the ghetto method for target shooting like I did today and just wrap tape around the end. Or for short range shooting just leave as is.

Here is a quick penetration video at short range. Long distance shooting vid to follow.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
I love skewers. Until I impale myself.
That's a cool shooter. I made one out of an arrow I hit (30inch). I split the knock end, but secured it with rubberbands which now act as a grip. When I let the ball (heavy airsoft) fall it hits the tip insert and doesn't fall out. It's pretty accurate at close range (10-15 feet).
I like those cheap fletchings! I'm gonna try it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Pretty cool looking
. I just got a 12" blowgun the other day and have a 3 footer on it's way here for the hubby. Maybe I'll make a slightly longer one for myself, but I think I'd try some PVC pipe.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nobody is home and I'm bored...think I'm gonna head to Lowe's or Home Depot and make one :p

·
See The Target
21,698 Posts
1/2 metal conduit works Great. I make them 7 ft long. Big bore and big power for a blow gun. Amazing the penetration with steel shank darts. Pass thru a bean can!

·
Registered
135 Posts
1/2 metal conduit works Great. I make them 7 ft long. Big bore and big power for a blow gun. Amazing the penetration with steel shank darts. Pass thru a bean can!
7 feet? Yikes...I could pole vault with that one! I actually bought a 5' length of 1/2" PVC piping and ended up cutting it in half since I'm not interested in bagging animals with it. I also combined some hacked crossbow darts with NaturalFork's packing tape idea on the end. So far it works pretty good! Right now I just put the first coat of paint on it since having the words "Charlottepipe.com" and other assorted red letters on it doesn't interest me.
The pipe and 2 end pieces for the mouthpieces came to under $2. Cheap enough to go buy another pipe if I decide I want a longer one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
wow that a nice little blow gun. i keep on watching videos about them but i have not yet bought or made one.
Old quote, but if I can do it, anyone can! I even managed to use the hacksaw without cutting myself
. Been having alot of fun trying out other things on the end other than packing tape, and found that the really thin sheets of foam work pretty well too. My little 2.5 footer I made with the PVC pipe actually lets me shoot almost the length of my yard, which I thought was pretty cool.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Sheila, How big is your yard!?
blowguns rock! Had one when younger and I forgot how much I loved it!
This blowgun talk gettin me excited!! Nostalgia is a powerful thing and often causes me to $pend going back to the good ole days, I think a $10 blowgun is in order.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ruthie? Who's Ruthie? Unless it's a typo and you meant me?
If you did, I'd say it's 75 feet long...quarter acre suburban house lot. Can't shoot too far or the neighbors might complain, hehe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.