Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Panda... with a slingshot?!?
807 Posts
So how much does a 15/16mm lead ball weigh. From a source it states 20grams<, is this right. So if I have a band-set of 30-35lb draw, would this be enough to launch the 20grams of lead? Whats the speed and effective hunting range I should get?
Thanks

Heres the source: http://jacksshed.myf..._about3842.html
I'm not sure that's right. If I recall correctly, Jörg's 30mm steel weighed 120 grams, so 15mm steel would be 60 grams. 16mm lead must be more than 60 grams... Correct me if I'm wrong

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,414 Posts
So how much does a 15/16mm lead ball weigh. From a source it states 20grams<, is this right. So if I have a band-set of 30-35lb draw, would this be enough to launch the 20grams of lead? Whats the speed and effective hunting range I should get?
Thanks

Heres the source: http://jacksshed.myf..._about3842.html
Well do the math, 16mm diameter is 8mm radius using the formula for volume of a sphere...

So it has a volume of ~ 2.14 cm[sup]3[/sup], to get the mass you simply multiply the volume by the density of Lead (11.34 g/cm[sup]3[/sup]) giving a 16mm Lead ball a mass of 24.32 grams.

A 15mm lead ball would have a mass of 20.04 g - you should note that the volume, and therefore mass, of a spherical object rises exponentially as its diameter increases.

I did actually write a program which performs these calculations for you but I don't want to release it yet...

Reactions: Tom BD Bad

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, so would a band-set 30lb draw launch this easy? At ranges less than 10yards. What velocities should I expect to get? Thanks again for your help

·
1,414 Posts
My 16 mm lead balls (bellsofhythe 12 shot mould) weigh 26 gramms.

You can expect about 55 to 60 m/s with a 30 lbs Thera Band setup.
26 grams... that's weird, if anything I would expect them to weigh slightly less as it's unlikely that you're using 100% Lead, I think your mould must be ~1.64 cm...

·
1,414 Posts
I don't know, it is possible that the size isn't exactly 16 mm. Also the lead I am using is from discarded tyre weights, probably some kind of alloy really.
I think the value is probably truncated for simplicity's sake after being converted from a common imperial measurement, maybe 0.65" ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.