Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
g,day everyone has anyone in any part of the world got a hodges rubbered powered gun the one without the limbs straight barrel. Larry Hannusch whos into airguns is supposed to have one they shoot 11mm or 7/16 lead balls at 350fps. but i am trying to find someone who could chrony one they where supposed to take down boar sized game, and sailers used them on islands because they were quit. there rubber powered history any input welcome.

·
Konrad
416 Posts
1850s-Hodges-catapult-gun.jpg

Courtacey of BONHAMS.COM
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24657/lot/206/
A RARE HODGES PATENT CATAPULT GUN
UNSIGNED BUT ALMOST CERTAINLY BY RICHARD EDWARD HODGES, NO. 56, CIRCA 1850
With octagonal barrel open over nearly its entire length on each side to accept an india-rubber cord (missing) secured at the muzzle by a brass mount cast and chased as draped figures of Britannia, white-metal action and tang engraved with scrolling foliage, pivoting white-metal access cover engraved en suite and incorporating the rear-sight, figured full stock (old bruising) with hand rest carved as a scrolled leaf, chequered grip, scroll engraved iron mounts including scrolled trigger-guard, white-metal butt-trap (hinged circular cover replaced), and vacant white-metal escutcheon (steel parts pitted overall)
76.2 cm.

Footnotes
  • Richard Edward Hodges was granted English Patent No. 12623 in 1849 for 'application of india-rubber to projectiles' and also manufactured projectors, accumulators and door springs all of india-rubber. For more information see Howard L. Blackmore, Hunting Weapons, 1971, pp. 171, 209, pls. 83-84

The other version:

1850s-Hodges-catapult-gun-V2.jpg

I think you know more about it than me Robbo.

Maybe trying to contact pyramid air and Larry Hannusch might be a idea if you get no leads here.

Salutations Konrad.

·
Registered
850 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts