Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting UrbanShooter's Gherkin Gapper frame and really loving it. I've wanted to mess about with PFS and shooting 1/4" steel or BB's but funds are limited so I've just been fooling around in the shop. I've got an OPFS that needs a whole lot of finishing, but in the meantime I think I found a substitute. I had to pick up a battery at AutoZone yesterday and saw a $2 paint scraper and something clicked.

Some 1632 tubes and a little leather for tabs, and I've got a poor man's PFS in under an hour! I've been a little scared to shoot it (only took a couple shots) because it seems the most comfortable hold is with my thumb bracing the back just below the tabs. I'm using BB's though, so I figure any damage will be minimal. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Neophyte
2,119 Posts
Those are fun to play around with, I made one a while back. I got my scraper at harbor freight though lol. I wrapped some tape around the area where the screw is to add some comfort to it. I have been kicking around the idea of using flats clamped in leather but I am not sure, what do you think about it? :)

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are fun to play around with, I made one a while back. I got my scraper at harbor freight though lol. I wrapped some tape around the area where the screw is to add some comfort to it. I have been kicking around the idea of using flats clamped in leather but I am not sure, what do you think about it? :)
I think that'd work pretty well! The major concern would be wear on the bands, but if you've got them padded in leather it should last a little longer. I actually punched a hole in the leather that the screw goes through, to keep the leather from slipping when I pull on it.

Reactions: AKA Forgotten

·
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you do a back shot? Was trying to get a view on how you have your Gypsy's put on.

Looks like a good Sleeper Catty for sure
I'm having some trouble uploading a photo. But basically that screw you see on the frame holds two pieces of metal together. Typically you would have a razor blade in between the two for scraping paint. I just removed the razor blade and put a single piece of leather in it's place. I cut a hole in the leather for the screw to go through. Then you clamp the whole thing back down tight. No ties, no rubber bands, no fuss. It took less than 10 minutes to make the tabs, tie the tubes and clamp them in place.

Reactions: AKA Forgotten
1 - 14 of 14 Posts