Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

Although I was considering possibly attending this event to be held in November, I have had second thoughts after reading this kind of article about foreigners being arbitrarily arrested, prevented from leaving China, and subjected to maltreatment by the communist authorities:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/04/china-thinks-it-can-arbitrarily-detain-anyone-it-is-time-for-change

Seems like a high price to pay to attend what should be a fun event if for any reason the authorities decide to molest foreigners in view of ongoing political disputes.

I normally tend to avoid the "Guardian" as a liberal newspaper, but the above article is quite relevant indeed, particularly in view of the recent events in Hong Kong.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I've been 2 months in China this year -may and june- and never saw or suffered something like that. And I wasn't in fancy touristic hotels et all, but in family environment, walking the streets of several cities, going to cheap restaurants, using the fenomenal transport system, and living the daily life as all people there. That article seems to me strongly biased.

·
aka CYBORG
1,997 Posts
Tough call. In spite of Ordo's positive experience, you could be risking the worst possible nightmare ... just to be a spectator at a slingshot tournament (!) which will likely be extensively covered on video. Still, the lure of visiting such an interesting country is very strong.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
IMO, if you are a regular bloke you have nothing to worry about. While they may detain an individual, there must be a reason and it's never quite willy-nilly. I think that article is making it sound overly arbitrary, causing unnecessary overblown paranoia. Someone like Michael Spavor is known to work closely with North Korea... so there could be other reasons. The media tends to skew reports to push a usually politically driven narrative - it is rather difficult to trust main stream media. And the reports about Hong Kong are rather biased as well. For starters, the protests have not been all peaceful but the media has been underplaying the violent aspects of the protests.

As an individual, travelling or as a tourist, I think you are going to be quite alright. Also, China is a lot safer than the USA in many ways and you might be surprised how technologically advanced some things can be.

·
Registered
61 Posts
IMO, if you are a regular bloke you have nothing to worry about. While they may detain an individual, there must be a reason and it's never quite willy-nilly. I think that article is making it sound overly arbitrary, causing unnecessary overblown paranoia. Someone like Michael Spavor is known to work closely with North Korea... so there could be other reasons. The media tends to skew reports to push a usually politically driven narrative - it is rather difficult to trust main stream media. And the reports about Hong Kong are rather biased as well. For starters, the protests have not been all peaceful but the media has been underplaying the violent aspects of the protests.

As an individual, travelling or as a tourist, I think you are going to be quite alright. Also, China is a lot safer than the USA in many ways and you might be surprised how technologically advanced some things can be.
As a Hong Kong citizen who is going to the SH Tounament, I reckon I'm in the right place to speak up on this issue. First. I share Urban's view. You have nothing to fear if you are a regular bloke who is visting the country. Second, it's Shanghai. It's a vibrant metropolis and most likely to demysticy the arbitary and backward image imposed upon by the western media. Last and not least, it's an international event for all slingshoters arcoss the globe-that alone got me in the first place.

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
I have a feeling you may find there are more Americans there than you may think. As far as being safe,,
There are bad people all over this world and you have just as much risk going to your local grocery store for a gallon of milk.
If you just stay alert and hold your head up high, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.
The zombies looking down at their cell phones while walking are the real victims these days. They are ripe for the picking.
And yes, most likely overblown media hype. They get better ratings that way.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
EVERYBODY likes tourist dollars. The first rule of visiting a culture strange to you is to remember that you are NOT at home. I doubt that they are looking to bust well mannered tourists. I noted that the article never mentioned why they were arrested.

Googled it up. They were busted as spy's. I don't think that transparent Sling Shooter tourists have a lot to worry about. :angrymod:

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
This IS a tough call...but all the Chinese folks I ever met were very kind.

The issue is real enough with the civil unrest... All the Pretty Ponies comes to mind...you just never know what will happen when you step out of your door.

So might as well enjoy the things you wnjoy.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts

The issue is real enough with the civil unrest... All the Pretty Ponies comes to mind...you just never know what will happen when you step out of your door.

The civil unrest is in Hong Kong... I wouldn't go there now even if you paid me! Friends of mine who live in Hong Kong are presently taking a holiday in Malaysia and other places nearby. Problem is the civl unrest doesn't seem to want to ever end...

Shanghai however, is quite safe. Large cities in China are covered with cameras running on an AI backbone. As a result, crime rates are rather low. You can't even jay-walk there - if you do you'll find your e-wallet deducted within hours. Oh, they are cashless too, so everything is paid for with your device and an e-wallet. You even reserve tables, find seats, order meals and pay via your device. And when you walk into a supermarket, your data and preferences will be suggested to you leading you down aisles and towards products... yup, Huawei AI...

Large cities in China are so technologically advanced, we would be intimidated. As an overseas Chinese, I think I can say that they do however lack cultural refinement by western standards (though this is fast changing with the current generation getting educated at the best international schools). However, air quality is terible in Chinese cities and there are some "foods" you just have to avoid.

Be as it may, I think the Western views of China being a dangerous backward Communist country is no longer accurate. And as far as communism is concerned, it has evolved and taken on capitalism in it's model... If you have ever seen a PRC shop anywhere else in the world you'd be shocked. They are the new rich of rhe world and everyone hates brash newly rich people...

·
aka CYBORG
1,997 Posts

The civil unrest is in Hong Kong... I wouldn't go there now even if you paid me! Friends of mine who live in Hong Kong are presently taking a holiday in Malaysia and other places nearby. Problem is the civl unrest doesn't seem to want to ever end...

Shanghai however, is quite safe. Large cities in China are covered with cameras running on an AI backbone. As a result, crime rates are rather low. You can't even jay-walk there - if you do you'll find your e-wallet deducted within hours. Oh, they are cashless too, so everything is paid for with your device and an e-wallet. You even reserve tables, find seats, order meals and pay via your device. And when you walk into a supermarket, your data and preferences will be suggested to you leading you down aisles and towards products... yup, Huawei AI...

Large cities in China are so technologically advanced, we would be intimidated. As an overseas Chinese, I think I can say that they do however lack cultural refinement by western standards (though this is fast changing with the current generation getting educated in the best international schools). However, air quality is terible in Chinese cities and there are some "foods" you just have to avoid.

Be as it may, I think the Eestern views of China being a dangerous backward Communist country is no longer accurate. And as far as communism is concerned, it has evolved and taken on capitalism in it's model... If you have ever seen a PRC shop anywhere else in the world you'd be shocked. They are the new rich of rhe world and everyone hates brash newly rich people...
Interesting insights as usual.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Large cities in China are so technologically advanced, we would be intimidated. As an overseas Chinese, I think I can say that they do however lack cultural refinement by western standards (though this is fast changing with the current generation getting educated at the best international schools). However, air quality is terible in Chinese cities and there are some "foods" you just have to avoid.

Be as it may, I think the Western views of China being a dangerous backward Communist country is no longer accurate. And as far as communism is concerned, it has evolved and taken on capitalism in it's model... If you have ever seen a PRC shop anywhere else in the world you'd be shocked. They are the new rich of rhe world and everyone hates brash newly rich people...
Spot on! And back to the essence of this post, I look forward to seeing you folks in Shanghai.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Come on! Do you know how many foreigners visited China mainland per year? it is 305 400 000 vists (excluding those from Hongkong,taiwan,Marcao) on 2018.
Count the percentage for these similar cases by yourself.

If your behaviors like a normal visitors, you will never have any trouble. Even you kill your bird with your slingshot in China, you will face less trouble than a native chinese.
because you are a visitor, if your behavior wont cause harm seriously or last too long, the chinese police is nice enough not to trouble you and themselves.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Ive got to say if I had the opportunity to visit China and attend a slingshot tournament I wouldn't hesitate.

I wouldn't go anywhere near Hong Kong as things stand at the moment, not even a flight that transferred through there but that's about it.

Ive found in my travels that if you respect a countries culture and laws wether you agree with them or not you won't have a problem.

Take the trip and let us all know what it was like.

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
I spent a short time as a Visiting Professor at a Chinese university. Admittedly, it was many years ago. If you act respectfully and keep any political opinions to yourself there is no reason why you will not have a safe, enjoyable experience.

GP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts