Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's 63゚ at my location at about 6 in the morning. I pull out the gold flats that I'm experimenting with that I bought off off Amazon, I'm shooting 3/8" steel at 272fps, I'm very very happy with that at this temperature, these things are flying out of here. I have no doubt that when the temperature warms up to 75゚ I'll be shooting well in the 280fps +

These flats seem to be pretty accurate also as I'm smacking everything in sight, I'm pulling these to a good 525%+ elongation factor, they are a 20mm x 14mm taper (after I shortened them to 6.35" for my 32.5" draw length) these bands are 1mm thick.

Been shooting for a while and it's now 71°, the sun is out so I gave the chronograph another try, she is now shooting 293fps !! Yes, this rubber around to 70° mark really is performing :- )

I'm shooting at all kinds of junk stuff some are misses some are hits, but boy or boy the slingshot setup is sending them. I'm extremely happy that the 5/16" still going out at 300fps+ with my lighter F-16 set ups and the 3/8" steel are approaching that speed.

I have shot maybe 70 shots+ and my band to fork tie has not budged at all. As all of you know trying rubber to rubber using a rubber tie has some give but holds extremely securely, just look what others have done using a tube over their shooting elastic, whether it's tubes or flats.

I might add that with this powerful band set, I have not got finger return hits or web of hand hits :- ) Below is a pic of a 3/8" Steel in the small 45mm Micro Pouch - I always now use the smallest and lightest pouch that will cover my ammo !

Heading home, shall return tomorrow !

wll

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At my location at 5:50am, the temp is 71° and a little windy. The F-16 has been in the ice chest keeping the elastic cool in this desert climate - using the Amazon Gold 1mm thick flats in a 20 x 14mm configuration at my active length of 6.25" This set up sends that 3/8" ball out like a bullet when the temp is hitting 70's

I hop out of the jeep to do a little shooting, man alive I'm smacking stuff, these Gold Amazon bands, so far are pretty darn good we will see how long they last at my elongation factor.

I set up the chronograph to see how well these bands are doing after about 100 shots, there is a cool wind although the weather app says it is 71°. First shot is 288fps, second 291fps and I stopped --- good enough for me :- ) those 3/8" steelies with these Gold bands are doing fine !

I start shooting some more and I'm shooting low, then I realize I'm bending over to much, which shortened my anchor to eye distance. I stood up straighter and started smacking stuff again, how quickly you can forget your basics :- )

The wind is starting to pick up and it is a nice cool morning breeze as it's only 7:10am now and the temp is 73°, I will wait around till is a few degrees more and chronograph again to see if I can get closer to 300fps :- )

Temp just now hit 76°, set up chronograph and fire two more shots with the Amazon Gold ---- 297fps and the 296fps ---- WOW, I know in the high 70's She will hit the 300fps mark !

Well it's 8am and I'm out a here, going to tie up some 24mm x 18mm TBG, maybe for next week.

wll

@KawKan --- yes the temp plays a pretty big roll in the velocity for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.