Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
If you get lucky you might kill a Coyote with a pellet gun and yes im familiar with pellet guns. However mostly all thats likely is you will wound it.

I grew up in a ranching background and i have spent many many hours hunting Coyotes because they cause us so much trouble. Ive seen em have to be hit twice by rounds that werent so well placed with 243's. Some use 222's and/or 22/250,s cause they dont want to damage the fur cause we get money for the fur up here. But sometimes even with these bores they dont die instantly.

So they can be hard to take down even with guns much more powerful than what you are talking about. So if you want to hunt humanely i suggest you shoot smaller critters with that pellet gun. Sure Coyotes are pests but they are still live breathing creatures which deserve to be killed in a humane way.

Just sayin. Sorry if you get offended. I know you didnt ask for it but i gave my opinion anyway. I wouldnt feel right about not sayin anything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is no way you can ethically or reliably take a yote with your gun. Even the heaviest pellets available will have < 40 foot pound energy (FPE) at the muzzle @ 650 FPS. Not enough to cut the mustard even with a perfect shot. FPE will be less by the time it hits your target. Advertised FPS tend to be with light weight pellets, but heavier pellets are better for hunting.

That being said most pellet guns shot some pellets better than others. Even identical guns will shoot more accurately with a pellet it "likes". The best pellet for you gun will be the one it shoots most accurately.

JSB pellets tend to be accurate, maybe even the majority of guns favorite pellets. Predator Polymags are pellets that cause a lot of damage, but few gun favor.

Experiment with a few pellets. Find your most accurate and stick to game no larger than rabbits.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
There is no way you can ethically or reliably take a yote with your gun. Even the heaviest pellets available will have < 40 foot pound energy (FPE) at the muzzle @ 650 FPS. Not enough to cut the mustard even with a perfect shot. FPE will be less by the time it hits your target. Advertised FPS tend to be with light weight pellets, but heavier pellets are better for hunting.
+1. Those dogs are amazingly hard to kill. The only way you'd have any chance of killing a coyote with any air gun would be with a brain-penetrating shot through an eyeball from directly in front, and I'm not even too sure about that.

·
Plinker/Hunter
100 Posts
I know this is old but to anyone else interested Go check out the Gateway to airguns Forum! They actually know their stuff when it comes to airgins. There was a guy who went by the name of shadow who regularly took raccoon and opossum with the B-00 brand of chinese made .177 air rifle. Only one of his guns were over 14ft lbs of energy, said gun was a gamo hunter extreme at 26 ftlbs that drove tacks at 25 yards. It was his COYOTE gun. He was a well respected airgun (tuner) and hobbyist alot of his posts are still up.

·
Super Moderator
10,981 Posts
I know this is old but to anyone else interested Go check out the Gateway to airguns Forum! They actually know their stuff when it comes to airgins. There was a guy who went by the name of shadow who regularly took raccoon and opossum with the B-00 brand of chinese made .177 air rifle. Only one of his guns were over 14ft lbs of energy, said gun was a gamo hunter extreme at 26 ftlbs that drove tacks at 25 yards. It was his COYOTE gun. He was a well respected airgun (tuner) and hobbyist alot of his posts are still up.
Yep ... and there have been a lot of deer taken with a .22 rim fire. BUT in all jurisdictions with which I am familiar, it is illegal to hunt deer with a .22 rim fire ... and with good reason. MOST folks will just wound a deer with a .22. Carrying on, I have been shooting air rifles for years ... I have killed raccoons with a high velocity .22 air rifle. BUT that was done at fairly close range with a shot directly between the eyes. SOMEONE might kill a coyote with a .22 or .25 air rifle under very special circumstances, but MOST will just wound it. If you insist on using an air rifle for coyotes, then I would urge one of the big bores ... a .45 or .50, perhaps one of the Sam Yang rifles:

http://www.pyramydair.com/m/Sam-Yang/18

Cheers .... Charles

·
Super Moderator
5,238 Posts
Air rifles can kill big game, but only very special air rifles. Lewis and Clark carried a Girandoni air rifle on their 1803-1805 expedition and used it to kill deer. Most modern air rifles are suitable only for small game and target shooting. The ones Charles linked would likely kill a Coyote, if the shooter can consistently hit a moving target in a small vital area. That's not as easy as some think.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I know of a guy in Africa that pouched elephants with a .22 LR. He had four to his credit when caught. He was doing this regularly, but I highly don't recommend do so.

·
Plinker/Hunter
100 Posts
Yep ... and there have been a lot of deer taken with a .22 rim fire. BUT in all jurisdictions with which I am familiar, it is illegal to hunt deer with a .22 rim fire ... and with good reason. MOST folks will just wound a deer with a .22. Carrying on, I have been shooting air rifles for years ... I have killed raccoons with a high velocity .22 air rifle. BUT that was done at fairly close range with a shot directly between the eyes. SOMEONE might kill a coyote with a .22 or .25 air rifle under very special circumstances, but MOST will just wound it. If you insist on using an air rifle for coyotes, then I would urge one of the big bores ... a .45 or .50, perhaps one of the Sam Yang rifles:

http://www.pyramydair.com/m/Sam-Yang/18

Cheers .... Charles
If the power and potential is in the weapon then i feel that is all that's needed. One can always practice and improve on accuracy before the hunt or dispatching of said game. The Sam Yang brand of air rifles are very good for thicker skulled game from opossum that have a very thick ridge of skull running between their eyes upto coyote and average sized hog with the .25 caliber ,great recommendation.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a Stoeger X50 .25 (most powerful springer made) and I know it can take a yote. I was thinking about doing this same thing actually. Its pellet in hole accurate. Try Silverbear pellets or Crow Magnums. You need a hollowpoint no matter what.

And hunting deer with a .22 is perfectly legal in the state of NC (I wouldnt do it though, slug gun for me). Although for some reason slingshot hunting is not and I am trying to change that.

·
Plinker/Hunter
100 Posts
I have a Stoeger X50 .25 (most powerful springer made) and I know it can take a yote. I was thinking about doing this same thing actually. Its pellet in hole accurate. Try Silverbear pellets or Crow Magnums. You need a hollowpoint no matter what.

And hunting deer with a .22 is perfectly legal in the state of NC (I wouldnt do it though, slug gun for me). Although for some reason slingshot hunting is not and I am trying to change that.

·
Plinker/Hunter
100 Posts

NO.. I would not recommended the Crow Magnum for headshots on coyotes. The designed is not meant for penetration, which is what you need on a head shot. Try the RWS superdome or and good round nose or pointed pellet. Or Above all you have the BadAce Predator Polymag a mix of a hollow point and point pellet.

·
Registered
75 Posts

NO.. I would not recommended the Crow Magnum for headshots on coyotes. The designed is not meant for penetration, which is what you need on a head shot. Try the RWS superdome or and good round nose or pointed pellet. Or Above all you have the BadAce Predator Polymag a mix of a hollow point and point pellet.
I suppose the crow magnums might not be the best for a head shot. If using a .25 then the Rat Slugs would be perfect. Not a hollow point, and made for bigger game.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Watch out.... If you mean what I think you mean by Rat Slugs.... The OP is asking about a spring gun. The Rat Slugs I know of are super heavy. They are not suitable for and would have great potential to damage a spring gun. They are for PCP guns only.

The caliber is not the issue, .25s can take a yote, springers not so much. First they lack the FPE to do the job. Second, so much harder to shoot well than a PCP.

My highly modded .25 PCP is at ~ 50 FPE at the muzzle, and I can knock down shotgun shells at 100 yards. I would not use it to shoot a yote (unless it was me or the yote)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oops clicked send on accident.

The other important thing is (this can't be overemphised)... The brand, shape, weight, whatever is a distant second to performance. It is imperative that you shoot the most accurate pellet. The difference can be remarkable. My .. Cricket is a tack driver with JSB pellets. With RWS super domes you would have to see how bad it is to believe it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi all

When I bought this .22 ShinSung Career some nutjob had fitted an export kit, when filled with air the first few shots were around 80ft lbs, Here in the UK we're only allowed 12ft lbs without a firearms certificate, It was so loud even with a moderator fitted that I darent use it!! :hmm: I only was getting thirty shots before it needed filling again!!

I stripped it and chopped the oversized hammer spring down, The transfer port should have been swapped for a smaller one as the hole in this one is about 4mm, I didn't have a sub 12 one so I messed with the thumbwheel that limits the travel of the valve, I managed to get it down to 10.8ft lbs, If I turned it up by one notch the muzzle energy rose up to 14.5ft lbs :banghead:

I wouldn't take a shot at something like a Coyote even with this at the full output :(

nDteSHX.jpg

It's leaking like crazy now so I think whilst resealing it, I'll make a transfer port on my lathe of around 2mm and hope that I can set it better as i've wound the thumbwheel so far back that the lever doesn't sit flush with the frame!! :iono:

I have a lot of guns which cost me much money so I wouldn't risk losing them by having one with an illegal output :thumbsup:

John :wave:

·
Registered
75 Posts
So the Stoeger is not that great after I did some chrony testing. It is more than capable with a lighter pellet for up to raccoon, or nutria and things slightly bigger than that. The same applies to your 125.

Now if you have a PCP than can push a Rat Sniper Slug to 1000fps or a Eun Jin 43gr the same you can work a headshot and it wouldn't be a stretch like some people here say.

Better yet would be a .357 air rifle. But coyote or bobcat is the largest you should go with those.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts