Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a Stoeger X50 .25 (most powerful springer made) and I know it can take a yote. I was thinking about doing this same thing actually. Its pellet in hole accurate. Try Silverbear pellets or Crow Magnums. You need a hollowpoint no matter what.

And hunting deer with a .22 is perfectly legal in the state of NC (I wouldnt do it though, slug gun for me). Although for some reason slingshot hunting is not and I am trying to change that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a Stoeger X50 .25 (most powerful springer made) and I know it can take a yote. I was thinking about doing this same thing actually. Its pellet in hole accurate. Try Silverbear pellets or Crow Magnums. You need a hollowpoint no matter what.

And hunting deer with a .22 is perfectly legal in the state of NC (I wouldnt do it though, slug gun for me). Although for some reason slingshot hunting is not and I am trying to change that.
NO.. I would not recommended the Crow Magnum for headshots on coyotes. The designed is not meant for penetration, which is what you need on a head shot. Try the RWS superdome or and good round nose or pointed pellet. Or Above all you have the BadAce Predator Polymag a mix of a hollow point and point pellet.
I suppose the crow magnums might not be the best for a head shot. If using a .25 then the Rat Slugs would be perfect. Not a hollow point, and made for bigger game.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So the Stoeger is not that great after I did some chrony testing. It is more than capable with a lighter pellet for up to raccoon, or nutria and things slightly bigger than that. The same applies to your 125.

Now if you have a PCP than can push a Rat Sniper Slug to 1000fps or a Eun Jin 43gr the same you can work a headshot and it wouldn't be a stretch like some people here say.

Better yet would be a .357 air rifle. But coyote or bobcat is the largest you should go with those.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi all

When I bought this .22 ShinSung Career some nutjob had fitted an export kit, when filled with air the first few shots were around 80ft lbs, Here in the UK we're only allowed 12ft lbs without a firearms certificate, It was so loud even with a moderator fitted that I darent use it!! :hmm: I only was getting thirty shots before it needed filling again!!

I stripped it and chopped the oversized hammer spring down, The transfer port should have been swapped for a smaller one as the hole in this one is about 4mm, I didn't have a sub 12 one so I messed with the thumbwheel that limits the travel of the valve, I managed to get it down to 10.8ft lbs, If I turned it up by one notch the muzzle energy rose up to 14.5ft lbs :banghead:

I wouldn't take a shot at something like a Coyote even with this at the full output :(

nDteSHX.jpg

It's leaking like crazy now so I think whilst resealing it, I'll make a transfer port on my lathe of around 2mm and hope that I can set it better as i've wound the thumbwheel so far back that the lever doesn't sit flush with the frame!! :iono:

I have a lot of guns which cost me much money so I wouldn't risk losing them by having one with an illegal output :thumbsup:

John :wave:
What pellets were you using at what FPS? I highly doubt your .22 was even over 25ft/lbs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the stoeger x50 .22 and I have with no problems killed two turkey one with a body shot and one with a head/neck shot (yes this is not exactly legal) and I've also killed a fairly large beaver, with a hollow point and some accuracy you can kill most things. I have shot a deer skull with penetration through both sides I dont see a problem of you're a good shot but I don't know you're gun
A beaver is not that big of a deal, as long as you make a good head shot. And I have also shot a deer skull to test penetration. But do not and nobody should shoot a deer with an air rifle thats under .45. And even then you better have shot that exact same shot pre-season a dozen times.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'll probably eventually test the shot on a deer out of pure curiosity you may be right but I don't see how a shot that passes through the skull on a large brained animal could not kill it quickly
Dont do it. Even perfect shots on rabbits, squirrels, etc the animal runs off. I have even lost squirrels with perfect shots, and a deer runs a lot faster. If you had a AirForce Condor turned way up and pushing Rat Sniper Slugs at 1000fps then you could take yotes at 40 yards and be acceptable. But not a springer, unless its survival.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts