Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is no way you can ethically or reliably take a yote with your gun. Even the heaviest pellets available will have < 40 foot pound energy (FPE) at the muzzle @ 650 FPS. Not enough to cut the mustard even with a perfect shot. FPE will be less by the time it hits your target. Advertised FPS tend to be with light weight pellets, but heavier pellets are better for hunting.

That being said most pellet guns shot some pellets better than others. Even identical guns will shoot more accurately with a pellet it "likes". The best pellet for you gun will be the one it shoots most accurately.

JSB pellets tend to be accurate, maybe even the majority of guns favorite pellets. Predator Polymags are pellets that cause a lot of damage, but few gun favor.

Experiment with a few pellets. Find your most accurate and stick to game no larger than rabbits.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Watch out.... If you mean what I think you mean by Rat Slugs.... The OP is asking about a spring gun. The Rat Slugs I know of are super heavy. They are not suitable for and would have great potential to damage a spring gun. They are for PCP guns only.

The caliber is not the issue, .25s can take a yote, springers not so much. First they lack the FPE to do the job. Second, so much harder to shoot well than a PCP.

My highly modded .25 PCP is at ~ 50 FPE at the muzzle, and I can knock down shotgun shells at 100 yards. I would not use it to shoot a yote (unless it was me or the yote)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oops clicked send on accident.

The other important thing is (this can't be overemphised)... The brand, shape, weight, whatever is a distant second to performance. It is imperative that you shoot the most accurate pellet. The difference can be remarkable. My .. Cricket is a tack driver with JSB pellets. With RWS super domes you would have to see how bad it is to believe it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts