Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Plinker/Hunter
100 Posts
I know this is old but to anyone else interested Go check out the Gateway to airguns Forum! They actually know their stuff when it comes to airgins. There was a guy who went by the name of shadow who regularly took raccoon and opossum with the B-00 brand of chinese made .177 air rifle. Only one of his guns were over 14ft lbs of energy, said gun was a gamo hunter extreme at 26 ftlbs that drove tacks at 25 yards. It was his COYOTE gun. He was a well respected airgun (tuner) and hobbyist alot of his posts are still up.

·
Plinker/Hunter
100 Posts
I know this is old but to anyone else interested Go check out the Gateway to airguns Forum! They actually know their stuff when it comes to airgins. There was a guy who went by the name of shadow who regularly took raccoon and opossum with the B-00 brand of chinese made .177 air rifle. Only one of his guns were over 14ft lbs of energy, said gun was a gamo hunter extreme at 26 ftlbs that drove tacks at 25 yards. It was his COYOTE gun. He was a well respected airgun (tuner) and hobbyist alot of his posts are still up.
Yep ... and there have been a lot of deer taken with a .22 rim fire. BUT in all jurisdictions with which I am familiar, it is illegal to hunt deer with a .22 rim fire ... and with good reason. MOST folks will just wound a deer with a .22. Carrying on, I have been shooting air rifles for years ... I have killed raccoons with a high velocity .22 air rifle. BUT that was done at fairly close range with a shot directly between the eyes. SOMEONE might kill a coyote with a .22 or .25 air rifle under very special circumstances, but MOST will just wound it. If you insist on using an air rifle for coyotes, then I would urge one of the big bores ... a .45 or .50, perhaps one of the Sam Yang rifles:

http://www.pyramydair.com/m/Sam-Yang/18

Cheers .... Charles
If the power and potential is in the weapon then i feel that is all that's needed. One can always practice and improve on accuracy before the hunt or dispatching of said game. The Sam Yang brand of air rifles are very good for thicker skulled game from opossum that have a very thick ridge of skull running between their eyes upto coyote and average sized hog with the .25 caliber ,great recommendation.

·
Plinker/Hunter
100 Posts
I have a Stoeger X50 .25 (most powerful springer made) and I know it can take a yote. I was thinking about doing this same thing actually. Its pellet in hole accurate. Try Silverbear pellets or Crow Magnums. You need a hollowpoint no matter what.

And hunting deer with a .22 is perfectly legal in the state of NC (I wouldnt do it though, slug gun for me). Although for some reason slingshot hunting is not and I am trying to change that.

·
Plinker/Hunter
100 Posts
I have a Stoeger X50 .25 (most powerful springer made) and I know it can take a yote. I was thinking about doing this same thing actually. Its pellet in hole accurate. Try Silverbear pellets or Crow Magnums. You need a hollowpoint no matter what.

And hunting deer with a .22 is perfectly legal in the state of NC (I wouldnt do it though, slug gun for me). Although for some reason slingshot hunting is not and I am trying to change that.
NO.. I would not recommended the Crow Magnum for headshots on coyotes. The designed is not meant for penetration, which is what you need on a head shot. Try the RWS superdome or and good round nose or pointed pellet. Or Above all you have the BadAce Predator Polymag a mix of a hollow point and point pellet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts