Slingshots Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,272 Posts
Hi all

When I bought this .22 ShinSung Career some nutjob had fitted an export kit, when filled with air the first few shots were around 80ft lbs, Here in the UK we're only allowed 12ft lbs without a firearms certificate, It was so loud even with a moderator fitted that I darent use it!! :hmm: I only was getting thirty shots before it needed filling again!!

I stripped it and chopped the oversized hammer spring down, The transfer port should have been swapped for a smaller one as the hole in this one is about 4mm, I didn't have a sub 12 one so I messed with the thumbwheel that limits the travel of the valve, I managed to get it down to 10.8ft lbs, If I turned it up by one notch the muzzle energy rose up to 14.5ft lbs :banghead:

I wouldn't take a shot at something like a Coyote even with this at the full output :(

nDteSHX.jpg

It's leaking like crazy now so I think whilst resealing it, I'll make a transfer port on my lathe of around 2mm and hope that I can set it better as i've wound the thumbwheel so far back that the lever doesn't sit flush with the frame!! :iono:

I have a lot of guns which cost me much money so I wouldn't risk losing them by having one with an illegal output :thumbsup:

John :wave:
I have 4 of those 2 regular rifles and two carbines. I'm shooting 21gr Crow mags at 850 fps, and that is fine with me ;- ) Shoots flat enough, has plenty of power, and doesn't eat up the air real fast.

wll

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Hi all

When I bought this .22 ShinSung Career some nutjob had fitted an export kit, when filled with air the first few shots were around 80ft lbs, Here in the UK we're only allowed 12ft lbs without a firearms certificate, It was so loud even with a moderator fitted that I darent use it!! :hmm: I only was getting thirty shots before it needed filling again!!

I stripped it and chopped the oversized hammer spring down, The transfer port should have been swapped for a smaller one as the hole in this one is about 4mm, I didn't have a sub 12 one so I messed with the thumbwheel that limits the travel of the valve, I managed to get it down to 10.8ft lbs, If I turned it up by one notch the muzzle energy rose up to 14.5ft lbs :banghead:

I wouldn't take a shot at something like a Coyote even with this at the full output :(

nDteSHX.jpg

It's leaking like crazy now so I think whilst resealing it, I'll make a transfer port on my lathe of around 2mm and hope that I can set it better as i've wound the thumbwheel so far back that the lever doesn't sit flush with the frame!! :iono:

I have a lot of guns which cost me much money so I wouldn't risk losing them by having one with an illegal output :thumbsup:

I have 4 of those 2 regular rifles and two carbines. I'm shooting 21gr Crow mags at 850 fps, and that is fine with me ;- ) Shoots flat enough, has plenty of power, and doesn't eat up the air real fast.

wll
What's your power output like? I am so wanting one of these ShinSung careers...

·
Registered
152 Posts
"What's your power output like? I am so wanting one of these ShinSung careers..."

I've reduced it down to a legal level (below 12ft lbs) as I don't hold a firearms certificate and didn't want locking up for having an illegal firearm!

It was actually doing 10.8ft lbs with JSB Exacts, One more notch of the adjustor sent it way over our legal limit! :hmm: It leaks like crazy now (As does my other one!!) and so neither get used!! I'm going to order a couple of seal kits from Ebay :)

I once took it to work on nighshift (I work in a foundry) I lined two car body filler tins (5 litre tins) in our burning booth and fired a couple of shots at them! The shots went through both tins and knocked a load of steel spatter off the back of the booth :eek: :eek: Trouble was that it sounded like a shotgun going off!!! :thumbsdown:

John :)

Cheers, John

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi all

nDteSHX.jpg

What pellets were you using at what FPS? I highly doubt your .22 was even over 25ft/lbs.

·
4,272 Posts
Hi all

nDteSHX.jpg

wll
What's your power output like? I am so wanting one of these ShinSung careers...
It has been quite a few years since I shot it, it was accurate as heck, but loud as H^LL, and I mean LOUD !

I tamed it down so I was getting ~900 fps with .22 Kodiaks at 21+grains. this thing was a power house .... both the full version and the carbine ..... I really loved the carbine

Within 35 yds or so, and taking a head shot, you could take a coyote with this gun. I have been on the air gun forums a lot this past week, and the new guns and newer ammo is just amazing from days of past .... 1970-1990 ish. I think I need to have them looked at and cleaned up ... they are monster guns for sure.

wll

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the stoeger x50 .22 and I have with no problems killed two turkey one with a body shot and one with a head/neck shot (yes this is not exactly legal) and I've also killed a fairly large beaver, with a hollow point and some accuracy you can kill most things. I have shot a deer skull with penetration through both sides I dont see a problem of you're a good shot but I don't know you're gun

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the stoeger x50 .22 and I have with no problems killed two turkey one with a body shot and one with a head/neck shot (yes this is not exactly legal) and I've also killed a fairly large beaver, with a hollow point and some accuracy you can kill most things. I have shot a deer skull with penetration through both sides I dont see a problem of you're a good shot but I don't know you're gun

·
Registered
7 Posts
have the stoeger x50 .22 and I have with no problems killed two turkey one with a body shot and one with a head/neck shot (yes this is not exactly legal) and I've also killed a fairly large beaver, with a hollow point and some accuracy you can kill most things. I have shot a deer skull with penetration through both sides I dont see a problem of you're a good shot but I don't know you're gun

·
Registered
75 Posts
A beaver is not that big of a deal, as long as you make a good head shot. And I have also shot a deer skull to test penetration. But do not and nobody should shoot a deer with an air rifle thats under .45. And even then you better have shot that exact same shot pre-season a dozen times.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'll probably eventually test the shot on a deer out of pure curiosity you may be right but I don't see how a shot that passes through the skull on a large brained animal could not kill it quickly
Dont do it. Even perfect shots on rabbits, squirrels, etc the animal runs off. I have even lost squirrels with perfect shots, and a deer runs a lot faster. If you had a AirForce Condor turned way up and pushing Rat Sniper Slugs at 1000fps then you could take yotes at 40 yards and be acceptable. But not a springer, unless its survival.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Having owned pump and spring .22 and .177, to me it's ludicrous and not humane at all to use them for anything larger than **** and possum.... squirrels, birds, jack rabbits and hares are what these are made for. Some perfect A$$ when I was a kid killed a neighbor's German Shepard (about the size of a large coyote) with his Sheridan .177, it took three days for the poor dog to die, heart and lung wound but not well punctured..but he died a miserable death his owner said. I was in the middle...the neighbor was my friend and so was his dog, the perfect A$$ was also a friend which quickly I made into a FORMER friend and didn't turn him in. The vet could not save the dog apparently although much effort was done to do so.

Air guns come in larger calibers with sufficient energy to easily kill a coyote but Henry brings a valid point across, a moving target, i.e. a walking or even running coyote is going to present such a difficult target to a vital area that a wounded animal will almost certainly result. There has to be calculation of the time it takes the trigger to pull to release the round to the impact time onto the target and not a lot of hunters can gauge this on variable terrain, variable stuff in the way..brush, objects, land forms, the wind, and variable distances. It gets worse. The coyote probably won't be approachable too close unless it is rabid or just plain unwary or unlucky...or eating or taking a dump.

So yes, you can kill a dog or coyote with a small caliber air gun alright but doing it humanely is very very doubtful. Even a head shot has to penetrate the skull and retain enough energy to intersect the brain with enough energy to traumatize it sufficiently to stop the heart. A surface has to be perpendicular to such a weak projectile for such an entry and at close range so the projectile can do its harm. A coyote skull is anything but perpendicular, the round will probably glance off or enter an eye, ear or the mouth/nose parts to only wound the animal and make it suffer immensely.

Use a dang rifle of ample caliber for coyotes and like size game. Yes, elephants can be taken with a .22 rimfire, I heard of that also, but under just the right circumstances and yes the animal will HAVE to suffer even with .22 magnum or other higher powered rimfire .22s.

In Wyoming, livestock was constantly taken by coyotes and we had a rabies problem also which was absolutely gross...animals were dying miserable deaths and infecting domestic animals too and wounding at times livestock which would contract rabies as well and die miserable deaths and possibly infect mates and other herd members. We used cyanide traps for coyotes. A trap with a spring and bait to trigger the firing spring/pin would fire a small squib round like a blank loaded with powdered sodium cyanide into the mouth of the coyote. Cyanide denies tissue the absorption of oxygen so the animal simply goes to sleep and dies. It sounds like brutal asphyxia but it isn't, it does not stop breathing by force like putting a plastic bag over its head, it stops tissue from absorbing oxygen, the brain lacking oxygen simply faints and goes to sleep, the heart stops, the animal is dead, no blood, no wound.

Really, if you have the slightest heart for animals, do NOT use a .22 or .25 cal air gun for coyotes or like sized game. They are too weak for a fast clean kill under most circumstances and MOST CIRCUMSTANCES are what reality is made of. I would suggest to use a .22 rimfire hi vel or .22 magnum at the very least (I used big bore center fire) for head shots only and a guaranteed one dead spot on at that, and actually my Rem scoped .308 for a head shot and wait for A GOOD OPPORTUNITY FOR THAT HEAD SHOT or I would not shoot. It's pitiful how mankind has made it so that coyotes, essentially dogs, have been crowded so much to take livestock but reality is reality.

Reactions: Viper010

·
4,272 Posts
My 22 cal QB78 that I totally modified with 1350PSI outgoing and a 22ci tank is shooting almost 30fpe using Exact Heavy (18.1gr) pellets ... but I would not use it for yotes unless they were very close and I had a perfect brain shot. Air gunning is all about shot placement !

Shotgun Window Wood Rectangle Gun barrel

wll

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you get lucky you might kill a Coyote with a pellet gun and yes im familiar with pellet guns. However mostly all thats likely is you will wound it.

I grew up in a ranching background and i have spent many many hours hunting Coyotes because they cause us so much trouble. Ive seen em have to be hit twice by rounds that werent so well placed with 243's. Some use 222's and/or 22/250,s cause they dont want to damage the fur cause we get money for the fur up here. But sometimes even with these bores they dont die instantly.

So they can be hard to take down even with guns much more powerful than what you are talking about. So if you want to hunt humanely i suggest you shoot smaller critters with that pellet gun. Sure Coyotes are pests but they are still live breathing creatures which deserve to be killed in a humane way.

Just sayin. Sorry if you get offended. I know you didnt ask for it but i gave my opinion anyway. I wouldnt feel right about not sayin anything.
Hatsan rates theirs with lead not alloy like everyone else. I have a hatsan 125 in .25 that will do 750-800fps with 26gr lead and produce around 31ftlbs of muzzle energy. I could easily take a yote at 30yards, some claim to have one shot dropped them at 50 yards with the 125 .25cal.

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,749 Posts
I ordered a .25 hatsan 1000 650 fps break barrel and was wondering what pellets are best to use for coyotes and bigger game,and if to aim for headshots or vitals,thanks!

.25 caliber pellet gun - YES BUT - you'd want a PCP (precharged pneumatic) powered rifle, not your break-barrel.
I've the one shown, in .22 cal, and the same mechanism in a Bullpup stock as well.
You can regulate the FPS, up or down, with a PCP .

HUMANELY is the way to go!

THWACK!

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,749 Posts
A PCP rifle will work. FPS is adjustable. See the above YT vid re: "Covered in Hogs".

I've two .22 of the rifles shown in the vid. One is standard stock, the other Bullpup. With a "DONNYFL" moderator, they are super quite. Great rifles at a terrific price - does the same as many much more expensive PCP rifles.

THWACK!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts