Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here are a few pics of my second natural. I'm not sure of the wood. It comes from an oversized bush/tree that grows like a weed around our local creeks. It is fitted with my 5/8" gum rubber bands with one of Tom's (bunnybuster's) pouches. It shoots well and is very comfortable in my hand.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
It looks like good and traditional slingshot.

I hope the wood is solid enough.
If you use the wrong wood it can break when you use too strong rubber bands.
Some time ago it happened to myself.
Just my

·
Resigned
1,142 Posts
Looks like a decent slingshot. I like the colouration of the wood and the gum rubber is hard to beat.

Julian, were you hurt when your slingshot failed? Did it just crack or did it come back after you?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
if you still have a small piece of the fork that was cut off or if you can go back and get a small chunk you can dry it and check the specific gravity. Specific gravity and strength relate fairly well.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Looks like a nice slingshot you made, I think it should be a good little shooter

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may have mislead you by calling the tree a bush that grows like a weed. The wood is very solid. Not quite oak, but dense and hard. I'm trying to identify the plant. It grows to about 20' tall, has a short trunk (or multiple trunks) with long, straight branches. The leaves are a darker green on one side, and a gray/green on the other and are about the same size and shape of an adult index finger. I'm looking online to identify it. In my area (Santa Barbara) it lines many of our creeks.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.