Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Mojave Mo
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten it into my head that I need to dedicate my time to either OTT or TTF and keep it at that. So for the last 3 days I have alternated between my Scorpion and my Torque every 12 rounds. The best of twelve wins that round.

Right now I am getting 1-2 misses every round with each slingshot going back and forth. Each miss is random of the 12 rounds in that set. As far as hitting a 10cm target....dead even??

It is faster loading the OTT.
I 'feel' the Torque and 'site' the Scorpion all from the cheekbone.

Do the rest of you shooters work at your craft so you can shoot anything made? Tiger Woods didn't spend a lot of time at the batting cages even though he is still using a ball and a club? Do you get my drift?

If YOU had to choose between flatband OTT or TFF as your only options.....which one???? MM

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Mojave Mo
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not looking for a "Til Death Do Us Part" slingshot.
I'm a dedicated play the field guy!
That sounds romatic, as long as I can hold the sling with a boxing glove. In my own little comparison I took a hand graze out of one of them. It surprised the heck out of me and gave next the winces for a few shots after!

·
Mojave Mo
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...or how about TTF instead!! I really understand the beauty of the tubes, but shot them like shat before my pouch dislodged. I am going to get a few sets for the Torque and just shoot it......
I've gotten it into my head that I need to dedicate my time to either OTT or TTF and keep it at that. So for the last 3 days I have alternated between my Scorpion and my Torque every 12 rounds. The best of twelve wins that round.

Right now I am getting 1-2 misses every round with each slingshot going back and forth. Each miss is random of the 12 rounds in that set. As far as hitting a 10cm target....dead even??

It is faster loading the OTT.
I 'feel' the Torque and 'site' the Scorpion all from the cheekbone.

Do the rest of you shooters work at your craft so you can shoot anything made? Tiger Woods didn't spend a lot of time at the batting cages even though he is still using a ball and a club? Do you get my drift?

If YOU had to choose between flatband OTT or TFF as your only options.....which one???? MM

·
Registered
539 Posts
TTF is racially superior. Sorry for all you people stuck with OTT. :p

Jokes, jokes. I prefer TTF because it mitigates hand slap and offers excellent consistency. I feel it is less dependent/requiring of hand positioning and follow-through. That said, the way I see it, all weapons are awesome and the name of the game is to be good with all of them. What if you were trapped on a desert island with Justin Beiber and had only your non-preferred fork configuration? Oh the humanity!

·
Mojave Mo
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could still poke him in the eye.
TTF is racially superior. Sorry for all you people stuck with OTT.

Jokes, jokes. I prefer TTF because it mitigates hand slap and offers excellent consistency. I feel it is less dependent/requiring of hand positioning and follow-through. That said, the way I see it, all weapons are awesome and the name of the game is to be good with all of them. What if you were trapped on a desert island with Justin Beiber and had only your non-preferred fork configuration? Oh the humanity!

·
Registered
612 Posts
OTT for me. Shooting sideways with a reference point, OTT is nice because you can aim below your reference point and your target isn't as obstructed by the frame. This especially is the case if you shoot with both eyes open like I do. I also like to point my frame forward a bit, and that's more natural OTT than it is TTF.

·
Mojave Mo
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OTT for me. Shooting sideways with a reference point, OTT is nice because you can aim below your reference point and your target isn't as obstructed by the frame. This especially is the case if you shoot with both eyes open like I do. I also like to point my frame forward a bit, and that's more natural OTT than it is TTF.
I was trying to figure out exactly what you said in the first sentence. Compared to the TTF I am 'aiming' way low with the TTF. It is taking me a few shots to begin to find that spot. But I like seeing my target and loading the OTT is a little smoother for me. I don't get any handslap or funky stuff with the OTT as I have it set right now. Dunno----still enjoying the struggle.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I was trying to figure out exactly what you said in the first sentence. Compared to the TTF I am 'aiming' way low with the TTF. It is taking me a few shots to begin to find that spot. But I like seeing my target and loading the OTT is a little smoother for me. I don't get any handslap or funky stuff with the OTT as I have it set right now. Dunno----still enjoying the struggle.
Enjoying the struggle is what it's all about!

I've whipped up a few digital sketches to help illustrate my point. Pardon my poor drawing skills :p Let's say the following images depict the sighting picture of a TTF and OTT slingshot if you were shooting it sideways, using classic target shooting technique. The black represents the fork tips, the blue represents the bands (flats in this case, but that's irrelevant), and the red star is the target. In the TTF image, the target is centered nicely in a dimple in the middle of the fork tip, which many slingshots have. The first image shows the target centered in the dimple, which acts as a sight. The target is centered in the middle of the sight, so it should be a hit. However, if the distance is such that the shooter must elevate their reference point (to account for the shot dropping over distance), the target becomes obscured by the frame.

In the OTT image, the corner of the fork tip is used as a reference point because that is standard for many shooters. As before, the target might line up nicely with the reference point and everything works out. But, if the shooter must elevate their aim to account for drop, the target is still partially in view because the sighting picture is vertically oriented, not horizontally like in the TTF example.

Hopefully this all makes sense. This does, of course, disregard other factors such as a variable anchor point (Northerner has mentioned this before-- instead of raising or lowering the frame, the shooter could adjust their anchor point instead so that the target remains lined up with the reference point regardless of elevation), bands being too weak or powerful, or whatever else. But this is part of why I prefer OTT, because it's easier to aim and adjust for droppage. Let me know if I can improve my explanation or illustrations :)

Attachments

·
Mojave Mo
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Enjoying the struggle is what it's all about!

I've whipped up a few digital sketches to help illustrate my point. Pardon my poor drawing skills :p Let's say the following images depict the sighting picture of a TTF and OTT slingshot if you were shooting it sideways, using classic target shooting technique. The black represents the fork tips, the blue represents the bands (flats in this case, but that's irrelevant), and the red star is the target. In the TTF image, the target is centered nicely in a dimple in the middle of the fork tip, which many slingshots have. The first image shows the target centered in the dimple, which acts as a sight. The target is centered in the middle of the sight, so it should be a hit. However, if the distance is such that the shooter must elevate their reference point (to account for the shot dropping over distance), the target becomes obscured by the frame.

In the OTT image, the corner of the fork tip is used as a reference point because that is standard for many shooters. As before, the target might line up nicely with the reference point and everything works out. But, if the shooter must elevate their aim to account for drop, the target is still partially in view because the sighting picture is vertically oriented, not horizontally like in the TTF example.

Hopefully this all makes sense. This does, of course, disregard other factors such as a variable anchor point (Northerner has mentioned this before-- instead of raising or lowering the frame, the shooter could adjust their anchor point instead so that the target remains lined up with the reference point regardless of elevation), bands being too weak or powerful, or whatever else. But this is part of why I prefer OTT, because it's easier to aim and adjust for droppage. Let me know if I can improve my explanation or illustrations :)
Perfect!!

·
Registered
566 Posts
I’m really not fit to comment here as my shooting has been pretty much exclusively ott, but that’s because my early ttf was so hellishly amateurish.

·
Mojave Mo
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Darn, did my images not go through? They showed up on my end :( Let me try again....
Okay. Another member answered this for me. But I am going to ask again using your drawings as a reference. Using a Torque shooting 3/8 steel at 10m with a cheekbone anchor my RedStar in OTT diagram 1 is a 1/4" above the fork tip edge...and I am hitting the target. If I back up 5m that RedStar drops an 1/8". At '50ft I see diagram OTT #1.

I am a shooter of gunpowder so I understand ranging. But this stupid slingshot business is cracking the calcium covering my brain.

Do Tell??

·
Mojave Mo
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm really not fit to comment here as my shooting has been pretty much exclusively ott, but that's because my early ttf was so hellishly amateurish.
I was lucky enough to shoot a hacked TTF a few times before I found this site and realized I simply may not be man enough to reclaim my boyscout slingpatch. Now if you tell people in the US you were a boyscout then want to report you to Social Services.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Darn, did my images not go through? They showed up on my end :( Let me try again....
Okay. Another member answered this for me. But I am going to ask again using your drawings as a reference. Using a Torque shooting 3/8 steel at 10m with a cheekbone anchor my RedStar in OTT diagram 1 is a 1/4" above the fork tip edge...and I am hitting the target. If I back up 5m that RedStar drops an 1/8". At '50ft I see diagram OTT #1.

I am a shooter of gunpowder so I understand ranging. But this stupid slingshot business is cracking the calcium covering my brain.

Do Tell??

What's the problem? That all sounds good to me. Your reference point is lowering as the range increases, right? I'm missing the confusion here...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts