Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was in Sussex having a wander round my dads garden. I had my Makralon prototype frame, fitted with Hunter flatbands and some .36 & .44 cal lead balls. The wind was howling with some really strong gust, at times enough to make me take a step back to secure my footing. Not the best conditions for catapult hunting. I walked around the edge of the lake and from the raised bank, looked down into the donkey paddock. A small grey shape caught my eye about 20 yards out in the field. I drew back and let loose a .36 cal ball. Despite the wind it flew straight..........straight over the rabbits back! It was a near enough miss for me to know I was well within range. I'd aimed too high with the lightweight ammo and the dust that kicked up from the ground just behind the bunny gave me a good indication of where I had gone wrong. The rabbit wasn't too keen on being shot at and ran about 10 yards diagonally to my left. This now put it at 15 yards. I watched as my next shot flew towards it and lost sight of it a split second before the rabbit rolled on it's side. A second or so later there was the usual flipping up and down and twitching that young bunnies do, before it lay still. The shot had hit the base of the skull/neck and had penetrated fully.

I picked up my prize, took some pics and then retreated back to the summerhouse to escape the wind and driving rain. There were a number of leaves on the water and I took some shots at them with .36 and .44 ammo. After a dozen or so shots with each calibre it became apparent that the smaller balls were less affected by the wind than the larger ones. Some of the .44 were missing a good 4 inches to the left.

I'm waiting on the go ahead for a feral pigeon job in which I'll use both calibres in lead and some .38 steel. that way I'll get to see the difference in impact at the same range and have enough shots to make some proper conclusions.

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,426 Posts
Great shot, I like your slingshot!
Personally I hunt with 9.5mm steel - simply because it's so easy to acquire - although lead of similar size definitely provides superior impact, due to its higher density, and doesn't ricochet nearly as much, which is nice when hunting close to hard objects!

However lead is incredibly expensive, roughly five times the price of steel and less suitable for being reused (due to its inherent softness.) May I enquire as to where you sourced your 0.36 calibre lead, as I have personally only been able to find 0.44? I think 0.36 lead would suit me much more, as it's much closer in size and wieght to the 9.5mm steel BBs that I train with. Also it would allow me get away with using slightly lighter bands without compromising penetration - I'm no Joerg I'm afraid!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts