Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a large quantity of steel ball ammo, the 5/16 is much, much cheaper and is ok for starlings.....But the 3/8 is quite a bit heavier and will have more energy down range for longer shots and bigger game.

Spending 49.95 for 4,000 rounds of 5/16 compared to ~ 80.00 for 4,000 is a big difference.

I'll most likely be using this for messing around shooting in the desert and be a replacement for marbles that I use a lot of. These sizes are actually cheaper than the bulk marbles I can get now .... marble prices went way up in the past two years ! I'm looking at less than .02 for 3/8 and about .012 for 5/16 steel.

How say you ?

wll

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,565 Posts
You are someone who REALLY needs a good backstop...

...as do the rest of us...

I feel your pain. I guess we'll go back to shooting with road gravel - oh, wait! Rufus Hussey mastered that! Maybe not such a bad thing...

THWACK!

BTW - it's getting harder to find lead wheelweights anymore due to lead restrictions - but if you can get them, and a mold, you can make your own ammo. Mine are .495, a bit on the heavy/big side, but if I ever come across a moose in south Florida...

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
It's like firearm ammo, steel slingshot ammo is getting expensive these days.

A good backstop will save you large amounts of money, as you'll use the same ammo again and again for every practice session.

A simple, yet effective backstop can consist of trestles with old bath towels slung over them and a piece of corrugated cardboard that shows the impact holes nicely, but also stops remaining ammo rebound behind it. You just go scoop up all the ammo lying at the bottom of the towels for the next round. This is what I've been doing for a long time: I've not purchased new ammo for quite a while now.

Shooting at tin cans and other stuff is ideally done somewhere where you'll find the ammo after the fun - or using a suitable backstop based on one of the great designs posted in this forum.

The cost of steel ball bearings varies like everything else, but shipping is what can really drive up prices. The German supplier "Kugel Winnie" sells 9 mm ammo at EUR 14.35 per 1,000, but shipping costs need to be added.

Aliexpress seems to be quite expensive when it comes to steel ammo, but shipment costs doubtlessly play a major role:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32863586844.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.6a6422beMjDnEy&algo_pvid=ba4116a1-eef1-49ff-ad7e-6800e161bf8c&algo_expid=ba4116a1-eef1-49ff-ad7e-6800e161bf8c-7&btsid=a3990591-7167-4fdd-95d6-26171c996f94&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_7,searchweb201603_55

My 2 cents worth...

·
4,377 Posts
Well I'm still pondering, going through my old notes and such.

Looped 2040 would send the 5/16 flying hard and maybe 1842's for 3/8, but 2040 may be fine and give me Starling hunting speed with flat trajectory with 3/8 steel ... I don't know ?

Here are a couple of shots at a old oak knot at around 25 yards as I remember from around 2-3 years ago, one 5/16 stuck in and the other put a deep hole in the wood. I was using Green Dub at the time and the tubes were overkill, but the balls were flying well above the 275 mark on this hot day by my chrony.

Oak%20Tree%2014%20Hits%20sm.png

wll.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,155 Posts
I agree with everyone else about getting a good backstop Wil....then ammo expense becomes a once in a long while expense......but if you just blast away with no recovery method, then it can get very expensive quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
just a thought about the price:

a. 4000 rounds of 5/16 steel is about 8.16 kg (49.95$)

b. 4000 round of 3/8 steel is about 14,2 kg (80.00$)

IF you take the weight as the main parameter then the simple rule says that 4000 rounds of 3/8 steel should cost 86.9 $ - not a bad deal I guess..

cheers,

jazz

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just bought at the 5000 3/8" price point ... for me and a buddy of mine ------ I should be set for quite a few sessions ... they are quite a bit cheaper than the discount marbles I was getting.

wll

·
Amateur
2,576 Posts
I'm a small ammo/light set up guy as well. My go to is .177 bbs and clay shot. The vast majority of my shots outdoors are not recovered. BBs and clay shot are so cheap I don't think twice about it. Indoors I shoot the heavy 6mm plastic airsoft ammo. The 6mm is recovered and reused.

·
4,377 Posts
Went out today with a wire frame Chinese sling and some 3/8 and 5/16 steel using 2040 looped tubes. I can say that the 3/8 steel balls are a nice fast hunting ammo with this set up. The 5/16 are flying faster and would still be fine for Starling size game for sure. Being I'm out in the desert area my shots are all 20+ min to around the 40ish yard area. The 3/8 steel balls have the poop at that range for pest birds.

I also shot another wire sling using 3050 tubes and it sent the 3/8 balls flying very well, the 3050 size is nice pulling back. The static length is around 6.5" and my draw length is around the 32-33" area under my ear lobe under my aiming eye. Below is a pic of that sling using my weld nut gypsy mini loop attachment method.

3050%20Cheapo%20sm.png

wll

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Reactions: Tag
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.