Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, I spent $5.77 on a piece of 3/8" Solid Aluminum rod stock at Home Depot, cut it in half and got 2 frames out of it.

I bent them up in a vise-( slow bend ). What is so funny about this is, I am more accurate with these 2 slingshots then any others in my collection.

I mount the flats on the inside of the throat and use the end of the prong as a sight.( You can also mount them prong ends facing out ).

One is wrapped with regular masking tape, the other I left open for a couple of fingers to go through for a more secure grip.

Honestly, these simple, cheap frames shoot great!

Cookie cutter Wood Font Metal Auto part
Hand tool Gesture Wood Household hardware Finger
Gesture Finger Thumb Wrist Nail

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already did wrap wood around the handle Mr. S. A very cool marriage of materials! I have to find that frame and post a picture.

·
Super Moderator
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys.

Nerd,I think it's the frames with me.

Skropi, I found a few older ones where I imbedded the wire frame in wood and carved a handle.

The one with the grooves in the handle was a customer request, the other 4 pictures was one I made for myself.

I still shoot the one with the masking tape in the first post the best. Crazy!

Wood Chair Fawn Wood stain Varnish
Sleeve Wood Fawn Wood stain Creative arts
Hand Finger Thumb Wood Nail
Hand Wood Finger Gesture Thumb

Arm Human body Wood Plant Gesture

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
Thanks Guys.
Nerd,I think it's the frames with me.
Skropi, I found a few older ones where I imbedded the wire frame in wood and carved a handle.
The one with the grooves in the handle was a customer request, the other 4 pictures was one I made for myself.
I still shoot the one with the masking tape in the first post the best. Crazy!

attachicon.gif
DSC02133.jpg
attachicon.gif
DSC02134.jpg
attachicon.gif
DSC02135.jpg
attachicon.gif
DSC02136.jpg

attachicon.gif
IMG_1632 2.jpg
Now that's a Slingshot Gary! Love that one buddy

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Those look amazing! Do you utilize special tools to bend the rods? I know the handles are probably more comfortable, but there is something so classy and minimalist about a plain wire frame.

Reactions: Flatband

·
Super Moderator
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Mikey, I just used a 3/4-1" diameter piece of pipe about 3 feet long and a vise and bent it very slowly. I messed up a few before I got the hang of it. It's tough to get the bends equal.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
My first "Commercial" slingshot was a wire frame from Miss Anita's Five And Dime in Waldo, Arkansas. The bands were crap, but most grocers got their packaged meat from suppliers with File type red rubber bands. With those on there? I don't think I have ever shot anything better.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
There is something in your builds, they are not fancy, but they seem, how to put it? Extremely functional? Function over form? They are good looking of course, but it seems that the utmost consideration went in their usability! Needless to say that I absolute adore this fact!
I don't know if they would suit me of course, but that is beside the point.
I used many words to just say that I am a fun of your work I guess ????

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Bent rod slingshots are both fun to make and very sturdy, particularly if one goes for 8 mm steel or stainless steel rod: the latter version handled bands and 20 mm steel ammo without problems. That said, 6 or 8 mm aluminium rod is fine depending of the size of the slingshot design.

In my opinion, the bending stage is best carried out with a rod bender (see the link below for the one I use), and requires a basic jig with measured bending angles marked on a piece of plywood. The base of the rod bender is inserted in a vise.

Here is where I purchased my rod bender: http://www.bacindustries.com/product3-bending-forming-tools-rod-mighty.php

Back in 2013, I came up with an effective solution that allows for flat bands to be attached to bent rod slingshots, and for a wood grip to be inserted in the grip section of such slingshots: the inserts consist of fluted wood sections that fit inside the fork prongs and the grip section, with tight tolerances and no need for glue or anything else.

I have attached some images of my system, which works very well and is safe to use. The costs involved are very low: the slingshots shown in my images cost me roughly US$ 8 per unit, stainless steel is more expensive.

For those of you who wish to see the various steps involved in making the inserts, here is a tutorial video I made for that purpose:

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.