Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
After the idea to use a steel ring as the basis for a self centering "W" slingshot proofed functional, I decided to reduce the weight. For this, I used an aluminum ring that I found on ebay (cheaply), originally a loudspeaker assembly spare part.

This design does not need welding gear, just standard tools. The grip is a 12mm threaded bolt, with the usual ball bearings and aluminum tube as the outer parts. The self centering works really well and avoid fork hits 100%.

It is a powerful slingshot, as powerful as the steel version, but at half the weight (400 gramms).

Since people love to see destruction, I shot at some pieces of fruit and recorded the impact at 1200 frames per second. Impressive!

Here is the video:

Jörg

·
Resigned
1,152 Posts
I am prohibited from streaming at work but when I get off the boat I'll definately take a look at this. Your great ideas never stop!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Awesome! Instant fruit salad maker.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just found this site and that's an impressive "W". How is the aluminum ring listed on eBay? Would like to try making a lightweight slingshot like this.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ebay key word is "speaker spacer". You need an inside diameter of about 6". 6,5" is fine, too.

Good luck!

Jörg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Jörg,

I found this thread while looking for blueprints on the W series to give to a workshop so they could make one for me, since I really suck at basically everything I gotta do with my hands, be it drawing, using scissors, drilling holes.. you get the picture.
This version of the W gave me an idea however:
Replace the ring with a bent pipe with an inner diameter big enough to fit theratubes through it
instead of drilling a hole in the middle, weld a rod or a another pipe on it for the handle, as to avoid obstructing the first pipe
add some pulleys on the exits of the bent tube for the theratubing to go over (as on your V)

now you have a W with all the advantages of a V or is there a huge flaw in my thoughts?

i'd draw you a picture but really... i suck at drawing

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That would not work as the rubber would touch the inside of the tube and get stuck. Plus, the tubular rubber is not a great performer.

The "V" is really not a great slingshot. I mean it looks spectacular and the concept is interesting, but a flat band equipped conventional frame outshoots it. A low forked Phoenix or Howitzer is several classes better. It's been a few years since I designed the "V", and have learned a lot since then.

Jörg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts