Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I found a Camillus Boy Scout Type pocket knife at at local thrift store for $6. It is in pretty good condition and tight. The min blade has not been sharpened excessively but the small blade shows more use. I am guessing its from the 50's or 60s. My plan is to clean her up, sharpen the blades and let her live in my car's glove box. Any ideas, thoughts or information would be appreciated.

GP

Attachments

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a former Boy Scout, I have so many found memories of the knives I carried as a scout. I still have my original BSA pocket knife but, it's now sealed in a display case that is not easy to open. I don't remember the manufacturer. My grandkids all say, Grandpa always has his pocket knife with him.....it's true.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Nice find! When I saw the picture I said, "Hey! That looks like the one I keep on my desk."

Mine is a Kamp-King with an awl instead of a small blade though. The main blade is stamped Imperial Ireland. No idea where I got it or when.

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used some fine steel wool on it and sharpened it up, oiled the hinges and it's almost as good as new. There is something very rewarding about taking an old knife and putting it back in service.

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got to share my airport security story. Some years ago I arrived, rushed, at the airport only to discover I had my Swiss army knife in my pocket. I did not have time to go back to my car and knowing I was about to have it confiscated by the TSA I went to two stores in the terminal asking if they would just keep my knife for me for a few days......"No way, Dude". Bad idea.

So, I buried it in a large potted plant, under some moss, and retrieved it when I returned.

I am sure there are other Forum Folks that have had interesting airport stories to share.

GP

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
Good save grampa. I recently saw a news clip showing how many knives are convescated at the Dallas airport. They had tubs and tubs of em.
Gosh I would forget every time. My knife is just a part of my pocket.
It's funny how times change. Daddy gave me my first knife so I could play mumbly peg with the rest of the boys at recess. lol

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Got to share my airport security story. Some years ago I arrived, rushed, at the airport only to discover I had my Swiss army knife in my pocket. I did not have time to go back to my car and knowing I was about to have it confiscated by the TSA I went to two stores in the terminal asking if they would just keep my knife for me for a few days......"No way, Dude". Bad idea.
So, I buried it in a large potted plant, under some moss, and retrieved it when I returned.

I am sure there are other Forum Folks that have had interesting airport stories to
share.
GP
Lol I did the same thing only I did not ask any one I just stuck it down in the planter and got it when I came back

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.