Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I have a grandson who is the light of my life. His name is Jake.
He will be 7 yrs. old on May 31st (I will be 65 on May 25th).

I know: we all love our grandchildren, and think they are cuter than ****.

Anyway. ... I made sure he got enrolled in karate at 5 (at my own expense) and have watched with pleasure as he progresses.

But now I want to teach him more -- dare I say "manly" -- arts.

Since I got my slingshot working, I took him out back with it and he absolutely loved shooting it, despite his too-small hands and wrists.

Hence my request: Please, can somebody advise me on how to build him his first slingshot? He is rather slight of build, but strong enough.

(and now, since I live in MA, where slingshots are illegal, Jake can become a fellow outlaw.)

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
This is the one i made for my grandson, i have just changed it cos the bands i had on was too strong for him, so i have put the weaker red exercise band on, plus put a strap on so if he let go of the fork it wouldnt fly back in his face, jeff

jacks slingshot.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Awww...He is a cute little rascal. I think he'll make an excellent little partner in "crime" for you.
I'd also go with a small natural fork with some light bands. Once you find a suitable fork, I'd suggest maybe a set of Tex-Shooter Target bands. They ought to be light enough for him and would still give good velocity.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
hey brother
these cattys were made by (WINGSHOOTER)
should work very well for smaller hands
an not to very hard to make wit the
wright stuff you should be able to
get the bar stock from lowes or home depot
hope it helps,,
i have a couple of his all wood ones super
nice!!!! an a super great person allaround
happy shooting

Attachments

·
Registered
855 Posts
That's a nice little catty.
Whatever happened to Wingshooter anyway? Last couple times I stopped by his website it was down.

·
Registered
316 Posts
A smaller natural fork was my choice.. My lil guy is 5 and pretty small too.. I just shaped and sanded it and finished with minwax.. I wrapped it in rubber to give it some cushion.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Once you find a suitable fork, I'd suggest maybe a set of Tex-Shooter Target bands. They ought to be light enough for him and would still give good velocity.
I second that. The target bands are what I take to the boyscout meets.

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay, guys. thanks. I want to buy the tex shooter but I just bought some gum rubber (1/16th in.) and before that I bought some theraband gold and before that I bought a bunch of pilates bands ... all within the past three weeks and I only have one slingshot so far. I am NOT buying any more rubber for a while. I may have a lifetime supply already
. But thanks again. I'm getting the idea. I hope you fellas post more about how your grandsons are coming along with their new slingshots.

Oh, yeah: that strap is a good idea shot.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I just bought some gum rubber (1/16th in.) and before that I bought some theraband gold and before that I bought a bunch of pilates bands ... all within the past three weeks and I only have one slingshot so far.
You're totally outta control, man!
The gum rubber ought to do just fine. Start it out at 1/2" wide and adjust the length to where he's comfy.

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just bought some gum rubber (1/16th in.) and before that I bought some theraband gold and before that I bought a bunch of pilates bands ... all within the past three weeks and I only have one slingshot so far.
You're totally outta control, man!
The gum rubber ought to do just fine. Start it out at 1/2" wide and adjust the length to where he's comfy.

[/quote]

Thanks, man. Sounds like good advise. Jake came over today and I put some safety glasses on him and just let him go to town with my slingshot and some marbles. At a target I set up taped to a blanket. He was in hawg heaven.

·
Super Moderator
6,607 Posts
HI Dayhiker,
cute little guy Bud! I'd say the way to go would be a small wrist-braced model like the Black Widow. Take those tubes off and put on a set of Trumark RRT's or some flats and he'll be off to the races. I think a wrist brace is a good idea for a little kid whose wrist is not really developed yet. i think they are safer for the little ones too. Make sure you get him some safety glasses too Bud! I think it's great that you're getting him into a shooting hobby. Excellent! Flatband

·
11,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Flatband. Already got the safety glasses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts