Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish I could remember the name of the Forum member that suggested using an inexpensive pillow case in the catchbox. I shoot mainly 5/16 steel in a small catchbox, and ever since switching to a pillow case I almost never have any bouncy outs.

Since I can’t say who started selling the set of five orange silicone spinners, I can only say who sells them. These spinners are awesome to shoot, the sound of the projectile and the spinning reaction is a lot of fun. I also let the nieces and nephews shoot them with BB guns. These can be purchased from POCKETPREDATOR.COM or SIMPLESHOT slingshots.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Thanks for posting, little nuggets like this are part of what makes this forum so good.

I am having to redo my portable catch box- a plastic tote with a piece of canvas hanging down as the stop. I use it nearly every day. Over the course of a year the flyers take a toll...

It seems no matter what I use, t-shirts or a towel or canvas, I still get bounce outs. So I am going to try your suggestion and stuff a pillow in the back this time. That and use some thin plywood to armor the inner walls. All goes well and I will end up with a portable catchbox that lasts more than a few months and catches the balls without bouncing very many out.

Cheers,

·
Registered
750 Posts
Dessert flipper can you post a picture of your portable catch box?

I will post pics later (when I get a chance to take some). I saw your other post about catch box ideas and think there are some awesome suggestions there. Mine is neither light weight nor foldable. But I drive a minivan most of the time with my large plastic tote catch box and an arrow stop in the back and that works for me.

·
Registered
750 Posts
OK, here are a couple slightly embarrassing photos of my current catch box- obviously a month or more out from needing to be replaced. But it is still working. Well, mostly anyways. And for as ugly as it is, it does provide evidence that I have been shooting a bit.

It is a plastic tote that I reinforced with canvas on the inside (put on with carpet glue). The stop is a section of canvas painters drop cloth draped over a steel rod. This does pretty well but the canvas bounces some out and wears thin eventually and needs to be replaced now and then.

When shots get through the canvas on the inside stops most of them. But eventually those that get through beat the crap out of the tote. This one lasted me about 4-5 months I think. Sort of a waste of a tote and some plastic so I would like to get a more permanent solution.

Pictured below is another tote I am lining with left over scraps of thin plywood for my next rendition. It won't be light or collapsible, but fits in the back of my van next to the archery stop. And if I get a year of daily shooting out of it I'll be overjoyed (most of my shooting is with these catches on the way to or from work).

Attachments

·
Neophyte
2,001 Posts
Hey, I too use the pillow case method, invented by Fiveshooter after much experimenting. I have found you want the case closer to the front of the box and hanging loose, I cut the case to length so it just barely touches the bottom. the light but doubled up fabric gives and slowly decelerates the ammo and then drops it into the bottom of you box. imma about to build a new catch box, if anyone is interested i can post a picture show of what works for me?

·
Premium Member
10,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You definitely get good use out of your catchbox HD👍😄 your catchbox has made me realize how many plastic totes I have replaced because they get beat up🤪🥵😂😇

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,216 Posts
OK, here are a couple slightly embarrassing photos of my current catch box- obviously a month or more out from needing to be replaced. But it is still working. Well, mostly anyways. And for as ugly as it is, it does provide evidence that I have been shooting a bit.

It is a plastic tote that I reinforced with canvas on the inside (put on with carpet glue). The stop is a section of canvas painters drop cloth draped over a steel rod. This does pretty well but the canvas bounces some out and wears thin eventually and needs to be replaced now and then.

When shots get through the canvas on the inside stops most of them. But eventually those that get through beat the crap out of the tote. This one lasted me about 4-5 months I think. Sort of a waste of a tote and some plastic so I would like to get a more permanent solution.

Pictured below is another tote I am lining with left over scraps of thin plywood for my next rendition. It won't be light or collapsible, but fits in the back of my van next to the archery stop. And if I get a year of daily shooting out of it I'll be overjoyed (most of my shooting is with these catches on the way to or from work).

View attachment 352433

View attachment 352436
What Archery shop ?

wll

·
Registered
750 Posts
What Archery shop ?

wll

A yellowjacket target / arrow stop. The back of my really messy van usually has the catch box and the arrow stop along with one of my home made bows and a half dozen arrows plus some water and dog blankets. I keep a sling or two (or more) plus extra bands in my take to work bag, and keep a light backpacking pack that is good for 2-3 day trips in the garage. I can stop and shoot anytime I can find a spot to pull off the road, and can be off to the mountains on a few minutes notice when I get the chance (sadly that doesn't happen as often as it should). I stop at one of several favorite spots in the desert nearly every day on the way to or from work, sometimes both.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Not being able to easily shoot at home is a bit of a drag sometimes- would be nice to just walk out back and get at it. But with tons of open desert 10 min from my house, it is a nice way to make sure I get some good outdoors time frequently.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After lots of experimentation, this is the catchbox setup that works best for me. I usually sling 3/8" steel from a range of 33 to about 50 feet. Cheap plastic tote (Walmart or Home Depot) using lid on bottom as shown in photos. I used felt carpet pad remnant on bottom and up the inside of the box bottom (as additional "stop" in back). I have recently changed to using an actual carpet remnant which works better because it is stronger. I string a half dozen old T-shirts through a piece of paracord (straight through the arms) and drape them to catch the steel (see first photo). Finally, I hang a single T-shirt off a dowl (I use a tomato stake - it is made of some metal with vinyl covering) to serve as a smooth backdrop to make it easier to see the target (see second photo). The steel drops to the bottom with very few bounce outs. After a hundred or so shots, I pull the steel forward on the carpet and let them drop through the holes drilled in the tote lid (that the tote rests upon) (see third photo). I use empty medicine bottles placed below the holes to catch the steel. This system had worked really well for me. Safe, effective, and really easy to use and collect the steel. I will try to attach photos to illustrate:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Not being able to easily shoot at home is a bit of a drag sometimes- would be nice to just walk out back and get at it. But with tons of open desert 10 min from my house, it is a nice way to make sure I get some good outdoors time frequently.
I envy that access :) I watch this Desert Trails on youtube , and he vids desert walks and finds , this coastal flats is all Ive ever known

·
Registered
750 Posts
I won't complain about the high desert, this is a great place to live. I bet the coastal flats have their own wonder to them. I've managed to find enjoyable areas everywhere I have lived. Probably fortunate I've never been stuck deep in a big city. If I had my way, I would get to spend half of my time here and the other half wandering the wooded hills of central WI I grew up in. I miss the mature oak hickory trees I used to roam around in as a kid.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Of course getting to retire and spend more time near the the Pacific coat, anywhere between NoCal and Canada, or just about anywhere in the Rockies or Appalachian mountains would be okay too.....

·
Registered
837 Posts

View attachment 352433

View attachment 352436
It don’t have to be pretty to be effective! 👍

·
SLING-N-SHOT
3,696 Posts
Hey, I too use the pillow case method, invented by Fiveshooter after much experimenting. I have found you want the case closer to the front of the box and hanging loose, I cut the case to length so it just barely touches the bottom. the light but doubled up fabric gives and slowly decelerates the ammo and then drops it into the bottom of you box. imma about to build a new catch box, if anyone is interested i can post a picture show of what works for me?
Yes Robert, would love to see that please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Neophyte
2,001 Posts
Yes Robert, would love to see that please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK, I will take some pictures as I go and post them :) it may be a few days, took a fall yesterday and sprained my wrist and bruised my ribs so I am sort of out of commission for now.

• Wow
Reactions: Tag and skarrd

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
definatly interested,please

1 - 20 of 22 Posts