Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some photos of a few frames i have been working on. i have shown pictures of these in progress, now they are finished and polished. The "fleur de sling" or "ant" as others have called it, is my first custom design- or should i say i have never seen one and no one has claimed it for themselves yet. I was shooting for creating a frame with a "locator" type grip to ensure consistent hand placement. It certainly requires the hand to only be in one place, but it does need some work. It is great with target bands, but anything heavier creates some uncomfortable torque. It also requires lots of detailed sanding to complete- so i may retire this design. I have a few more in progress in various sizes. It is made from khaya mahogany.

The chestnut/walnut frame is made from reclaimed barnwood that i salvaged. You can see a worm hole in the chestnut from when it died from blight in the early twentieth century and wood eating worms made it home. It was previously a floorboard in a barn, as was the walnut.

The birdseye maple and bamboo frame are made from scrap bamboo flooring and the maple is from the same barn that the chestnut and walnut came from(that barn was a treasure trove of wood). The handle scales are pinned with cherry.

The ergo gripped frame with pins is made from walnut and curly cherry. The pins are brass and walnut. I let my brother shoot it just after i completed working out the final coat of wax and he got a fork hit that can be seen on the left fork. The cherry is so hard it barely dented it. I like this frame best out of the lot and it will go in to my permanent shooter collection.

No, they are not for sale, and no- i don't make slingshots for profit. I just wanted to share my work and love of the craft.

Enjoy!!

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
The all look amazing and turned out beautiful

·
Registered
733 Posts
Man you are producing. Each very well done. What do you use for shaping and sanding, Hand tools or power? I use a drill press and a variety of drum sanders when I am in a hurry, otherwise files and sandpaper.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I enjoyed making them. Look for more.

mxred,
i use bandsaw, oscillating drum sander, and drill press along with rasps, files, and sandpaper- generally whatever gets the job done with the least time. I will make a few of one style, get bored, and move on. Heck, next week i may be back to making bows or toolboxes. So long as i am tinkering with wood, i am happy.

Bill,
Thanks for comments on the ergo- i would be happy to trade again in the future if you are interested.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
Truly nice indeed!!!! You are quite the woodwright!!!

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NoSugarRob, you sure don't sugar coat it do you? They do look like poo. I have had others tell me the same, but the cable ties are just so danged convenient and functional. However, point taken and i will not insult a pretty frame like that again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.