Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few good laughs at the shoot in PA. One was when Joerg tried to teach old Flatband the "Constrictor knot". I never did try it before so Joerg proceeded to try to teach me. An hour later I was still trying and Joerg was making up new cuss words in German! Kids were picking it up,but not old Flatband. Joerg must have thought...this guy has the I.Q of a rock! Well we eventually got it the next morning and told Joerg we had a new knot to show him! HAH! We also had a good hoot after everyone was shooting for hours at the sawblade with the .22 blank stuck in it and wondering why it never went off even though it had to have been hit at least once! Well replacing the previously spent cartridge probably would have went a long way in making it go off when hit! NICE! We also had a great time with Tom's(Bunnybuster's) Electronic Tarzan Target. Everytime you hit the hole in the metal Squirrel,the thing would do the Tarzan war cry. Joerg hit it so many times we started asking his permission to shoot at it! The metal Squirrel really took a beating. We ended up calling it the "Polio Squirrel" it was all twisted up and bent out of shape.The Saw blade also was starting to look like a Mushroom and was bent in such a "U" shape that ricochets became a problem. We had to hammer it back into shape to avoid being killed by ricochets.We also had a long range(over 70 yards) target that everyone tried to hit with 10 shots. I think the most hits was 4-very difficult. Anyway,after all the shooters had their turns,we all opened up on it and it was getting hit by everyone. go -figure! What a great time for so called grown ups to be what they really are-bigger kids!!
Flatband

·
Eliminate the Variables!
1,714 Posts
I got one for ya...I walked up to shoot some practice shots at the "practice target sheets". I called out to Jay, asking if both targets were practice targets. I thought Jay said yes, but he may have misunderstood me. Jack was shooting either his 20 or 25 yd tournament target. I shot at it and hit the target. Jay was smiling, saying you just shot Jack's target. I thought he was kidding and I said "well, I won't do him any justice". Then I shot it again. Jay said " You just shot Jack's target". By then, I realized he was serious
. I felt bad...I believe Jack had only shot about 2 or 3 shots at it, but I could've crawled under a rock at that point. Again...Jack I hope I didn't leave a bad first impression on you.

The other funny moment happened at Applebees. Ray was explaining life to Eddie (my friend)...well, you just had to be there. I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Just returned from Alverton! What a great trip.

I have a ton of video material, will need some time to edit all of it. Now I have some office work to catch up, so the main vid will have to wait for the WE. Maybe I can upload some easier clips (like the interviews with Jack Koehler, Gary the "Flatband" and Tom the "Bunnybuster" earlier, much less editing required.

I want to single out my blue band set (made from Thera Band Blue, 14cm/9cm/20cm). This band set was on my target shooter and had about 1000 rounds on it when I arrived, from practicing at home. I shot it through most of the event and put maybe another 1500 rounds on it!

It seemed indestructible. This really shows that flat bands can last a long time, especially when you don't pull it out to the max.

It still works, but towards the end I had to shorten it and it got to strong for the relatively lightweight balls we had a the tounament (9/16 steel was the biggest). Nasty handslaps! It still shoots very fine with 16 mm lead. But man, it looks beaten, and the pouch is as soft as a paper tissue.

Another fun story is my attempt to interview people at the shooting range. Now that I am reviewing the video, it is almost impossible to hear the words as good ole Johnny Weismüller was constantly uttering his famous cry. Boy that poor squirrel was hit often!

Jörg

BTW: Gary, you need to select another picture for your avatar. You look 15 years younger in real life!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm getting a real kick reading the stories and watching the videos (flatband's are up on youtube at this point). Looks like it was a real good time had by all!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm sure sorry I missed this. The best laid plans can go wrong. Sure seems to be a fun time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts