Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about using marble for a slingshot frame, as it is beautifull and can be polished to a high shine.

Of course a "steel skeleton" is necessary.

What do you think? Has anyone here experiences with marble?

Jörg

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
When I saw the title, I was a bit worried. After I saw that you planned on using a steel frame, I was all for it! I think it will look good!

·
Registered
78 Posts
hey Jeorg,granite is a harder stone and will polish up real nice.marble may be alittle easier to drill out without breaking.i would use a little water to keep the dust down,and cool the bit.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Where you gonna get a marble that big?

(come on, somebody had to say it)

·
Registered
855 Posts
The Phoenix design is sort of what I'm picturing only with marble instead of wood. Is this what you're thinking of, Joerg, or some new design?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am thinking about using marble for a slingshot frame, as it is beautifull and can be polished to a high shine.

Of course a "steel skeleton" is necessary.

What do you think? Has anyone here experiences with marble?

Jörg
I think it would look cool! If any one could do it, it would be you Jörg!!!
It would probably be the size of your Poseidon/trident slingshot and just as mythical. I can't wait to see it!!!
Maybe a brass or copper frame with marble inlays. If it was all marble, you would be the only one strong enough to wield it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
O.O i cant wait to see it jorg. Your work has always grabbed my attention, and im sure this wont lack any of your finesse everyone is customary to.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
If anyone can make one you can, the Da Vinci of slingshots...

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I was thinking about a variation of the Phoenix design. This would allow me to make a strong frame with a lot of marble surface, but it would still look sleek and wouldn't weigh too much.

For a "Jim Harris" concept, I would have to test how well marble can be laminated to aluminum or steel.I am not sure about that.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would be rearly worried on having a frame with absolutely no elasticity like a stone one. Because shooting after shooting an hidden fracture can grow from the core of the frame, with no exterior sign of deteriorating, until a cathastrophic failure.
Just my thougt

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, don't forget that there would be a full steel skeleton, thick enough to take the entire force of the rubber.

Without that steel reinforcement, you are right, I would not consider stone at all.

·
Registered
273 Posts
sorry, was not aware of the metal skeleton. in this case i still think a failure may appeare, casue of vibration, but with any damage except for the appearence.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts