Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
Went out to the shop today to bend some wire and when I got done out of the corner of my eye I see some forks I cut last summer. I thought to my self why not see what all the fuss is about with these little sticks.
I have one natural that I got in a trade with jmplsnt it shoots as well as my favorite.
Well at any rate I looked over the forked sticks on my shelf till one spoke up and said pick me. So now I have this stick in my hand wondering what to do next so I reached in my pocket and got out my buck folder. Thats when I herd her voice. She asked that I do not change this stick but to only bring out its beauty. I put my knife back in my pocket as I would take to much wood away had I used it. Thought have to get the bark off so I grabbed my 4-way and went to work. I was careful not to dig into the wood but only strip the outer bark and sand the inner bark so as to not change any of the character of the wood. Don't know what wood it is she didn't tell me but when I was sanding she said she wanted Gypsy tabs. So this little forked stick did all the work she guided my hand. It was as if I put forth no effort. A real joy to watch my hands work not knowing what they would do next and this is what I found myself with.
Sorry for the bad pictures

·
Resigned
1,142 Posts
I like that one as the fork looks good and even. I also like the pointy handle bottom that is strarting to pop up more and more. I may try this at some time in the future but to be honest I'm pretty well set in my ways and happy with my style of doing things.

Please do let us know it shoots! What are you strapping up with?

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
You can't see because of my bad pictures but it has a natural grip formed from branch that was cut off.
That looks great.

I would very much like to see your pics in focus because they are worth it. Maybe it's the camera. When my photos are not sharp and many other picture takers do the same, is not holding the camera real steady. Please if you think it might be that, give it a go making sure you are braced real good and as the button is pushed don't move the camera.
I really would like to see your work.

This one will be great to see with a clear pic and when it has a finish if you are putting a finish on it.

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Very nice natural DM, I can tell from here regardless of picture quality that it has an extremely smooth finish to it. I know you like your metal slingshots, but you will soon find out that it is very hard to beat a natural. A nice thick fork can have infinite possibilities for its outcome, and even smaller ones will always surprise you with that is underneath. I have an inkling that you will become a natural nut to go along with your wire bent frames, which is perfectly alright, but you've taken the first step and it'll be hard to go back......

Though I don't have the authority to declare this
...from where I sit, welcome to the chain gang!

As to scrounging leather for tabs, it is far easier than doing so for pouch leather because most anything works, and there is more thick and stiff leather for them than thin, supple, light, and strong leather for pouches in this world....I would suggest using old belts, or looking into picking up some beat up belts at the local thrift shop, one belt will last you forever, unless you pump them out like Jmp has....

Cheers - John

p.s. I'll be standing by if you need anymore help and advice on this project, good luck, and good job.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Great fork, I personelly never change a fork anymore than I have to, once I get the bark off it seems like a insult to the wood to do much more, Always have to listen to mother.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.