Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me, knives are more of a functional item that needs to be sturdy for typical outdoors activities, like when looking for slingshot forks and checking wood quality.

Although I have a nice Swiss "Victorinox" army knife with the various snazzy compact tools these things come with, I wanted a compact folding knife with a stronger blade for the occasional carving when out in the woods. As I really do not use such knives that often, I opted for one of the multiple options available for very reasonable prices at Aliexpress - not that I was expecting anything too glamorous for the roughly USD 11 that I paid, plus USD 1 for shipping (see link):

The Chinese have definitely learned the trade: what I received 3 weeks after the purchase is a well made folding knife that fits nicely in the hand, whether you use the "pinkie" loop at the handle extremity or not. The outer woodwork is reasonably good, albeit that it could be a shade thicker for better ergonomics. The blade can be opened using an extension on the upper side, or simply with the finger hole. Once fully opened, the blade clicks into position, and is held there securely with a springy locking extension that is part of the outer knife frame itself.

There is no play in the blade when it is extended or partially folded, and it should be suitable for any outdoor smaller cutting or carving needs that may arise: the blade seems to be sharp enough according to an envelope paper cutting test I did. The blade is held securely when in the closed position inside the knife frame, which means it is safe to carry in a back trouser pocket if you do not use the frame mounted clip. The blade has a non-shine grey surface finish, not sure what it is, though.

Quite frankly, I was pleasantly surprised, and will be testing this "bad boy", which caught my attention with its "pinkie" loop for better control, like those on so-called "Karambit" knives.

Check out the photos, and let me know what you think. Here some technical data from the online seller:

Type: Folding blade knife

Full length: 185mm/7.28''

Blade length: 67mm/2.64''

Blade width: 29mm

Blade thickness: 3mm

Blade material: 440C stainless steel

Handle material: wood+steel

Hardness:57HRC

Attachments

Read Only
Cool knife 馃憤馃徎 I used to buy knives from China to but after 2018 Canada made different rules about knives that can be open one hand . Or if the pivot screw loose and can be flicked out . So here is the stupid part you can buy all this stuff in country not a blink of an eye . I got about 4 or five letters about importing illegal weapons in to Canada and had them all taken . So only buy stuff already inside county

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, they're pretty tough on weapons of any kind in Canada. In Switzerland, most knives are legal providing they cannot be extended automatically using one hand, or have a symmetric blade (think daggers). One can even carry legal knives, providing one does so for a good reason i.e. it's OK while hiking or while in the woods, but not OK downtown, where the police may confiscate knives as "dangerous objects" if you cannot come up with a rational explanation as to why you are carrying one on you. There is an exception to this rule, though: a Swiss army knife is not considered as a dangerous object, so you can carry it with you wherever you like in Switzerland.

Read Only
Ya it鈥檚 crazy because any knife thumb stud or hole in blade or flipper can be opened one hand 鉁. We buy them all even assisted we buy in country . Just don鈥檛 import them 馃し鈥嶁檪锔. We are the same you have a hunting knife on your hip just not hidden. Like ya say not down town .

Registered
It鈥檚 a decent looking knife. I like the blade design. The locking mechanism on those is generally known as a liner lock. The pinky hole reminds me of a karambit. It鈥檚 probably handy for pulling it out if your pocket. I鈥檝e had some decent Chinese made knives and I鈥檝e had some terrible ones. Glad you found one that works well for you.

Registered
LOL I went the opposite way since in the states everyone carries a huge folder, I instead started buying Puukko's which traditionally the blade should be about as long as your hand is wide, and with minimal stropping they will shave with almost no resistance

Registered
LOL I went the opposite way since in the states everyone carries a huge folder, I instead started buying Puukko's which traditionally the blade should be about as long as your hand is wide, and with minimal stropping they will shave with almost no resistance
Puuko鈥檚 are nice. And you鈥檙e not lying about the sharpness, I darn near cut clear through my hand with one a year or so ago. Fortunately healed up with only minor nerve issues. Never carve angry 馃槀 鈽.
Input device Peripheral Computer keyboard Gesture Finger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts