Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you might have already seen and heard of this latest model by ALS. Wielded by the SH Champion, it made its celebrated debut in CSCC SH Int. last week

I'm not a big fan of hammer grip in general, but this thick and super ergonomic design is like a glove. The handle is inspired by airguns used in the Olympics, featuring an extended piece (look somewhat like a tongue) to absorb the pressure put on the area between index finger and thumb as shot released. I'm sure there is a more technical term for the body part, please comment below if you know. The ergonomic handle boosts my consistency in 2 way. First, the pressure absorption is real, you can quickly feel how steady your hand and forearm are as you release your shot. One reason I'n not fond of hammer grip is the lack of pressure absorption, but adding "the toungue piece" really helps solve the problem. Second, the thickness and ergonomics tire out your body and mind slower. I have a bad habit of not aiming longer, most because of my inability to keep my forearm steady and still longer. I had a different experience with this handle, the ergonomics of the glove-like handle naturally tells my body to aim and aim longer. Statistically, it boosts my 10m performance by 20% and feeling less tire.

I've seen hammer designs featureing "the tongue piece" before, but I personally found them lacking in aesthetics and actual pressure absorption. I hope this Review Post could inspire the fine craftsmen and shooters in the forum to push the limit of the ergo hammer design. I look forward to seeing more aesthetic ergoes from you folks. :)

Blue Gesture Wood Gas Electric blue
Art Electric blue Font Symbol Plastic
Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Wrist
Calipers Arm Finger Gesture Wrist

Attachments

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
That slingshot would be really nice to have in the collection.

I've experimented with hammer grips, both in terms of width and finger groove placement. Here is what my work developed into (photo). Beech wood is ideal for accurate shaping with a rasp and files.

A key issue with any slingshot is how low the forks are relative to the holding hand: this is an absolutely essential criterion with any hammer grip slingshot design to minimize wrist torsion forces.

Extra width in the grip and well shaped finger grooves reduce potential rotation of the grip inside the holding hand, which can result in the slingshot being held canted with regard to the target: this is a problem not encountered with pinch grip slingshots i.e. the index finger and thumb are used to correct such issues.

An interesting subject indeed.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,676 Posts
Nice review whadafork. Never a Hammergrip fan but that Ergo fit caught my eye. BTW that tongue that sticks out of the back of the handle and goes over the webbing of you hand for stability, is called a "Beavertail" in slingshot slang. I might have to open the pocket book on this one!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts