Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
Just a few pics of one I just recently finished.
It was customized by request. This one is going to a fine retired Marine who wanted it in green, and with the Cherokee word "Currahee" lettered on it. "Currahee" was one platoons "rally cry," it means "Stand Alone!!"

I could only find the stain color I was looking for in an acrylic, so I used a water base polyacrylic to clear coat it as well.
I really enjoyed making this one!!
Hope you enjoy the pics!!

Have a great one everybody!!!
Perry ~ A+

Perfect for here at this time of year!!!!

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,414 Posts
Oh my, that really is quite something to behold.

Careful though - you'll have his entire regiment wanting one!

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
Mother Green and her killing machine. He must've been para as well no doubt. Dig it! I wonder how fish gets that green color on his? You ought to make this a standard color offering.
I don't know about fish's green color....I know he uses a wax somehow because he said nothing dries in the UK. This is a very different green from the fish hunter. This is more of a sage or moss green and his is a pine green maybe....regardless of what the labels say.

It was fun, I will continue to offer it as a special request for those who really just need to have GREEN and those who may need a rush order. It only takes about 4 and 1/2 hours to coat a finished fork with this stuff!!!! ...stain, dry, poly-acrylic coats with dry in between....as opposed to my regular oil stain and Urethane Spar Varnish which involves an overnight (8 hrs.) dry for the stain and most of a day coating and drying.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I love it! I would venture to say it might become #1 of #2 if you offered it! Now if you could glue a service emblem pin to it ...

My nephew just finished with officers training for the Navy. He's going to be on a fast attack sub. He's in information warfare. I'd planned on sending him one for his B day and a gift for his efforts. Can you do em in blue?

Something like this, maybe smaller? http://www.flagandbanner.com/fab/productpage.asp?id=GPINNAVY

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
I love it! I would venture to say it might become #1 of #2 if you offered it! Now if you could glue a service emblem pin to it ...

My nephew just finished with officers training for the Navy. He's going to be on a fast attack sub. He's in information warfare. I'd planned on sending him one for his B day and a gift for his efforts. Can you do em in blue?
Friends, I can get the water base poly stain in any of the colors below. I would be happy to make one in any of these colors for our Service Men and Women, and others just looking for something different.

Emerald
This is the one I used.... I think it looks like Sage or Moss.
Walnut

Crimson

Mahogany

Indigo

Pecan

Onyx

·
Registered
733 Posts
Perry the green looks awesome nice job!
Have you ever used aniline dye? It comes as a dry powder you mix with hot water or alcohol. Works very well under oil bases finishes like spar urethane. Liquid leather dye and Rit dye mixed with alcohol also work very well.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Perry the green looks awesome nice job!
Have you ever used aniline dye? It comes as a dry powder you mix with hot water or alcohol. Works very well under oil bases finishes like spar urethane. Liquid leather dye and Rit dye mixed with alcohol also work very well.
No I haven't mxred91, but I've read about it for guitar woodwork and repair and understand that it works great. I have used black leather dye once for a wooden instrument fretboard repair I did. I may try the aniline sometime, but I confess, I like and need the ease and speed of ready mix for the business.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The aniline dye is remarkably easy to use. I have several Ice tea bottles of different dye colors I mixed up a couple of years ago that I used on bows, and more arrows than I can remember. It does a good job laying down an even color, a little of the powder goes a long way.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The aniline dye is remarkably easy to use. I have several Ice tea bottles of different dye colors I mixed up a couple of years ago that I used on bows, and more arrows than I can remember. It does a good job laying down an even color, a little of the powder goes a long way.
I will indeed try it!!! Did you buy it in a local store or order it???

·
Resigned
1,142 Posts
More awesome work Perry; I really do love that one. Your Marine is going to be very happy with his catapult, as I am certain will be anyone else who buys one from you. That's a fine catapult!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.