Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· 500 Club
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, well I got to try out my fret saw a week or so ago that I got given off one of my dads mates and decided to make a Classic Y boardcut. I got the design off the forum but unfortunately forgot who it was that shared it! if it was you, don't be shy and let me know!

Well after finishing it, I've decided I am going to give it to him along with a couple naturals. I don't think he's ever used a slingshot before so I may be able to get him hooked, haha

Here's what it looks like. (It's not the best but I found the fret saw quite hard at first)

Eyewear Kitchen utensil Circle Fashion accessory Office supplies

Wood Wire Pattern Tool Art

Cheers Luke

Attachments

· Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Looks great, congrats on the new saw, and good of you keeping the spirit alive my giving him some to perhaps get him going.

· Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Good job!

· Cogito Ergo Armatum Sum
956 Posts
A little language barrier coming into play here. I saw a pic that Lyle posted, and what he's talking about is a power tool, what us yanks call a scroll saw. There are a couple of variations of "fret saw or fretsaw", the most common is a hand tool much like a coping saw, but with a much deeper gullet and (like NC said) a narrower blade for tighter radius turns. It's designed to do the type of intricate cutouts that are sometimes called "fretwork". Another use is more specialized to the luthier's trade, and refers to a solid blade saw with a specific width kerf that matches a certain gauge of wire, and it used to cut slots in the fingerboard of stringed instruments that hold the metal frets.

A coping saw is a also a hand saw specifically used to back cut (or cope) the 90 degree joints in millwork, like crown moulding or cabinet trim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.