Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey guys , I thought I'd post a few pictures of some forks from my backyard and see what you think :

I did a little carving on each to get a little better grip. the first on wanted to twist in my hand at full draw so, when I finished the fork with tung oil , I put a little sand grit on each application of finish just on the handle and it solved the grip problem.The first fork is applewood, the second is vine, and the third is boxelder . the applewood is by far the hardest , the vine is the softest and the boxelder is a med. hardness. Next I'm on the hunt for oak and hickory or perhaps maple !!

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
That's great work, even if your font triggered a migraine.
The first is very innovative with the sand finish, the second has beautiful grain and the third looks to be very ergonomic.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Like your ideas cool now all you have to do is get your hands on that bookcase you purchased from the car boot,keep thinking. Where their is a will their is a way.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I agree very cool naturals and the middle one is stunning.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all of my peers for your comments, as I always look to any input I can get to look for new ideas and ways too improve whatever I am doing and every now and again you input helps to look at things from a different perspective. I too love the Vine ( middle ) fork but that wood is the hardest to work because in each layer there is a hard outter layer and a soft inner layer and you have to watch so as not to work thru too many layers in one place otherwise you create a weak spot in the fork and a possible failure point. If anyone gets a chance to a natural apple wood fork have fun because it is hard but a very fine grain wood and with the right finish it is very pretty. Like I said before, none of these pictures do the forks justice. I'll have to work on that !

Once again , Thanks everyone for your comments.
-Scott

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Also I liked the fork of see. The vein shines capricious and very beautiful. On the matter of the back garden, I have a fork of " Chavacano" in process of drying to the natural one. I will already have the taste to show it in society

Chepo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts