Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

The focus of my latest edition of the vise-operated band mounting jig was on having something that can be stowed away in carry-on luggage: I'm thinking of those people travelling to slingshot tournaments, and who may suddenly need to make a few new band sets during the heat of the competition.

With a length of 15 cm (5.9 inches) and a width of 4 cm (1.57 inches), this latest unit should meet those requirements. I hear some of you asking "what's the weight?" 300 grams (0.66 pounds) will leave capacity for that extra heavier slingshot frame and plenty of steel ammo in overall luggage weight considerations

(can't forget that big box of chocolates for aunt Martha, right? :lol:)

Making the mini-jig is pretty well the same as the version shown in the "templates"section of the forum, except that I used beech wood (1 cm or 0.39 inches thickness) as opposed to birch plywood.

It is small, yet it will handle stronger band sets like its larger brothers thanks to the 6 mm stainless steel rails and the 8 mm thick vise mechanism screw. Perfect rucksack size too.

Let me know what you think. B)

Attachments

·
aka CYBORG
1,997 Posts
Are those are the smaller 2 inch spring clamps? I use them on the fixed side of my jig but questioned their jaw strength for a while and considered changing to the 4 inch. The minis haven't failed to hold any tubes or bands yet, so I now think the bite is strong enough for many tying jig applications.

In your excellent downsized design, the minis open wide which increases the tension. Good thinking. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Pebble Shooter

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, those are indeed the smaller 2-inch clamps, which I also feel are a shade weak for the task: I am looking for something more suitable, as the larger clamps I use for my larger jigs based on the same design are somewhat excessive for the mini-jig.

I may yet have to make a slight design change so as to allow the lower clamp lever of the large clamps to extend beyond the jig "wall" where the wheel is located - that is if I do not find mid-sized clamps.

Then again, the idea was to keep the jig and clamp sizes to a minimum...hmm. No problems, only solutions....

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ Unkraut: Ganz gut die Methode mit dem Nagel wenn man wirklich nichts anderes hat.

I have thought about integrated clamps, which could be something in the form of a butterfly screw connecting a separate piece of wood or metal to the mounting blocks, where the pouch and band ends are placed, and this by means of a threaded screw unit inserted in the mounting blocks themselves (see the attached diagram).

The problem with such systems is that they are rather fiddly as compared to standard clamps, which can complicate the precise placement of the pouch or band ends. This is similar to what one finds on Chinese-made slingshots (and the latest "Scout" slingshot from SimpleShot)

Something more practical might be so-called "bulldog" office clips, because they are compact in size

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bulldog-Letter-Clamps-Pictures-Supplies/dp/B07MKQWBNC

Let's see what works best I guess.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts