Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

Last year, I ordered one of the Chinese flat band attachment tools from Dankung to facilitate the task of attaching flat bands to pouches. The system as a whole is well thought out in the way it allows for different pouch sizes, and the use of a hinged articulated lever to generate the band (or tube) tension required for a sturdy wrap & tuck (or knot).

As the package from Dankung did not include one of the special tweezers needed for the process, and that I felt that the metal structure and mechanism of the entire tool was somewhat wonky, I came up with the following modifications (photos attached herewith):

- Replacement of the articulated lever hinge rivets with 5 mm screws and safety nuts (the original holes are 5 mm) to stop sideways motion of the lever assembly and the connecting rod (an 8 mm diameter screw);

- Creation of two separate birch plywood units (blocks) with 20 x 10 mm drilled & filed holes to allow clamps to connect the upper section of the holes and the outer upper surface of the wood units where the flat band (or tube) ends are placed prior to applying tension with the lever mechanism.

The original pin, intended for the pouch to be held in place via the pouch end hole, was removed to allow the wood unit to be attached with 5 mm diameter screws to the original metal arch, which is welded to the main metal body of the attachment tool. The holes were drilled with the help of a drill stand for maximum precision.

An 8 mm hole was drilled to mount the other wood unit on the transfer screw linked to the lever mechanism, with a separate fixing nut to stop disturbing potential sideways movement of the wood unit.

- Mounting of the entire unit using beech wood side rails on a steady plywood base, with leather pieces glued underneath to prevent slippage and scratches on the surfaces on which the band attachment tool is placed.

- Changing the original transfer screw connected to the lever mechanism with a longer screw, as this seems to facilitate the pouch-band attachment process with the typically fairly short Chinese microfiber pouches designed for small steel ammo. The special metal part to rest the tweezers is no longer needed with this entire approach.

The advantages of these modifications:

- Accurate placement of pouch and band ends on the top of the wood units prior to applying the clamps and lever tension;

- Increased clamp spring tension thanks to the 10 mm separation between the upper clamp hole surface and outer upper surface, which holds the pouch and the folded band end without slippage;

- Linear motion of the lever mechanism, thanks to the close tolerances of the 5 mm screws instead of the original rivets;

- Stability of the entire tool thanks to a sturdy base, a key issue in my opinion.

I find that the tool is far more precise and pleasant to use now.

Please let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
OldMiser
3,543 Posts
Hello everybody,

Last year, I ordered one of the Chinese flat band attachment tools from Dankung to facilitate the task of attaching flat bands to pouches. The system as a whole is well thought out in the way it allows for different pouch sizes, and the use of a hinged articulated lever to generate the band (or tube) tension required for a sturdy wrap & tuck (or knot).

As the package from Dankung did not include one of the special tweezers needed for the process, and that I felt that the metal structure and mechanism of the entire tool was somewhat wonky, I came up with the following modifications (photos attached herewith):

- Replacement of the articulated lever hinge rivets with 5 mm screws and safety nuts (the original holes are 5 mm) to stop sideways motion of the lever assembly and the connecting rod (an 8 mm diameter screw);

- Creation of two separate birch plywood units (blocks) with 20 x 10 mm drilled & filed holes to allow clamps to connect the upper section of the holes and the outer upper surface of the wood units where the flat band (or tube) ends are placed prior to applying tension with the lever mechanism.

The original pin, intended for the pouch to be held in place via the pouch end hole, was removed to allow the wood unit to be attached with 5 mm diameter screws to the original metal arch, which is welded to the main metal body of the attachment tool. The holes were drilled with the help of a drill stand for maximum precision.

An 8 mm hole was drilled to mount the other wood unit on the transfer screw linked to the lever mechanism, with a separate fixing nut to stop disturbing potential sideways movement of the wood unit.

- Mounting of the entire unit using beech wood side rails on a steady plywood base, with leather pieces glued underneath to prevent slippage and scratches on the surfaces on which the band attachment tool is placed.

- Changing the original transfer screw connected to the lever mechanism with a longer screw, as this seems to facilitate the pouch-band attachment process with the typically fairly short Chinese microfiber pouches designed for small steel ammo. The special metal part to rest the tweezers is no longer needed with this entire approach.

The advantages of these modifications:

- Accurate placement of pouch and band ends on the top of the wood units prior to applying the clamps and lever tension;
- Increased clamp spring tension thanks to the 10 mm separation between the upper clamp hole surface and outer upper surface, which holds the pouch and the folded band end without slippage;
- Linear motion of the lever mechanism, thanks to the close tolerances of the 5 mm screws instead of the original rivets;
- Stability of the entire tool thanks to a sturdy base, a key issue in my opinion.

I find that the tool is far more precise and pleasant to use now.

Please let me know what you think.
Looks real good too use..simple.
akaOldmiser

Sent from my LML413DL using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts