Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, long time, no see - some around here may still remember me. I used to be quite active in slingshooting and still run a little web page about them (www.slingshot-shooting.de), but in the last years, raising a family gave me little time for slingshooting.

However, I was trying to improve on existing band attachmend methods, and came up with a new system that I feel worth to be shared, as it is really simple and has a number of advantages to existing band attachment methods.

As you can see in the photos, the slingshot has simply a slot on each side of the forks. I ran a bit of sandpaper through the slots to remove the edges. The slot's width has to be slightly larger than half of your bands width.

The bands are folded and put into the slots. The band part sticking out towards the target side is either bent downwards and attached as you would do in an OTT attachment (rubber, or possible a clip arrangement). This is the safe method.

You can alternatively, as shown in the photos, bend the rubber part upwards and attach it to the fork tips with rubber or any other type of attachment. This allows you to set the bands very low, and the upper forks are well suited to wind rubber around. However, be warned - that way your bands are attached to the upper part of the fork that has been weakened by the cut. And if the fork breaks, the rubber band will come back at you with the broken fork tip! So to use this variation, you have to be 100% sure about your slingshot's ability to handle the forces, and better err on the safe side!

Advantages of this new method:

1) The bands are parallel like in an TTF attachment.

2) They can still move up and down, as in an OTT attachment

3) The band end forms an excellent aiming point

4) Very easy to drop the bands into the slots and pull them back and forth until both sides have exactly the same length

5) fast reloading - bands thend to return to the rear side of the slingshots after

6) Extremely easy to make - its' nothing but a slot to the side of the fork. I expect this attachment to be well suited for commercial slingshots, as it is very easy and fast to make. No need for TTF "ears", just saw out your fork, put a slot on each side and presto, you are done.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Hello and welcome back to the rubber madness!!!!

Glad to see you here. And yes, I remember you from this forum and other parts of the Web which, I guess, it makes you a slingshot veteran!! :D

Regarding your attachment method, I guess it has some ground to evolve. Seems a bit reminiscent of the "slot/matchstick attachment method"

I would see an advantage in this method if there was some means in putting a stopper piece in front of the slot, inside the spare rubber flap.

This way, it could be a faster method to attach bands, without the lengthy task of wrapping the customary rubber strips.

Other than that, it seems a good option for a slimmer TTF slingshot!!

Best regards ...Q

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hi Melchior,

Great to see you again! Still visit your site time after time!

Like the idea and see what you have in mind. Tiny changes can make a big difference. It may even add more room for a clip.

Thanks for sharing!

Mark

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Almost wonder if the slot was above the band wrap - if it wouldn't be better. Have the band more close to the tip. Cool idea.
Putting the slot above he wrap is definitely the safer option. However, wrapping around the lower parts of the prongs is sometimes difficult as this part may be sculpted to fit the hand, and the prongs getting wider etc.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hello and welcome back to the rubber madness!!!!
Glad to see you here. And yes, I remember you from this forum and other parts of the Web which, I guess, it makes you a slingshot veteran!! :D
Regarding your attachment method, I guess it has some ground to evolve. Seems a bit reminiscent of the "slot/matchstick attachment method"
I would see an advantage in this method if there was some means in putting a stopper piece in front of the slot, inside the spare rubber flap.
This way, it could be a faster method to attach bands, without the lengthy task of wrapping the customary rubber strips.
Other than that, it seems a good option for a slimmer TTF slingshot!!
Best regards ...Q
Yes, this is possible. You can fold the bands backwards and use tie them to form some type of knot that jams into the slots. Or use any of the known methods (two slots, matchstick).

·
Super Moderator
6,673 Posts
Was ist los Mel!!!!! How you doing original ( 1st ) slingshot forum owner? Great to hear from you! I owe you a long e-mail Bud!

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Cool idea for attachments! I'm a fan of the website btw! Love reading about the history and seeing the old frames.

Reactions: skropi
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.