Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I was just at work thinking about how nice it would be to make small adjustments to my active band length without having to completely retie my bands.

I only have a pen and a notebook to work with atm, but I thought this might be a good idea that someone might actually be able to fabricate and make useful.

Essentially, you would feed your flatbands through a slot in the top of your fork and through a slotted rod. The rod would have a ratcheting gear either in the center or on both ends. By turning the rod your bands would wrap around it providing the friction to keep them from slipping. Lifting a small spring steel lever would allow the gear to move freely in either direction, allowing you to make small adjustments to your active band length.

A "set phasers to stun/kill" idea.
Gesture Handwriting Font Art Drawing

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Worst case scenario is people start using the idea and expanding on it or altering it. Next thing you know we'll have new types of slingshots and more people using them. Society will collapse.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Premium Member
The ability to quickly tune your bands is actually one feature that I like about the ocular system. Clips are good for that too, I just fold the excess so that it lays under the bands and when I get it where I like it, snip off the rest. Give it a shot man, you never know what new thing might take off.

Premium Member
wrap and tuck is a way to go, why make stuff complex when they are simple. Yes good idea but too complex and it will weaken the slingshot tip since you have to have a groove in the slingshot tip and your band is limited by the width of your slot.

Peace

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wrap and tuck is a way to go, why make stuff complex when they are simple. Yes good idea but too complex and it will weaken the slingshot tip since you have to have a groove in the slingshot tip and your band is limited by the width of your slot.

Peace
Perhaps you're right, in that this might be a less practical approach for everyday use, but what if you used it for testing new band brands/tapers? I don't know enough about the relationship between active band length and accuracy; but couldn't adjusting band length be useful for shooting at different distances? Also, the adjustment "key" could just be a slot you could use a coin with and it could easily be located on the front, back or side of the sling.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Perhaps you're right, in that this might be a less practical approach for everyday use, but what if you used it for testing new band brands/tapers? I don't know enough about the relationship between active band length and accuracy; but couldn't adjusting band length be useful for shooting at different distances? Also, the adjustment "key" could just be a slot you could use a coin with and it could easily be located on the front, back or side of the sling.
I guess using the same mechanism used by most guitar tuners would eliminate any need for springs and those tuners can hold a lot of tension.

Registered
It's an interesting idea @Brhumbus the Terrible . I'm more W&T for simplicity myself as I mainly make naturals anyways

@Ipdvolvoz I never understood how he is able to claim that design either.

The Flat Cat can be adjusted on the fly too. Oh yeah, it's also zero tie, even the pouch.

Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Serpent Wood

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Registered
Great idea. Makes a lot of sense for tuning.
Almost all of the time I use wrap and tuck and can change a set of bands in a couple of minutes now.
Last year though I was keen on these homemade aluminum clips. They are very fast to change a set of bands. Need a screwdriver but I've always got a multitool on me.
You could design these so the extra material hangs out the front maybe??
Or buy one of those frames with the spring loaded clips. They look nice.
tx, Ed

Attachments

1 - 20 of 58 Posts