21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts

·
See The Target
21,987 Posts
Hey folks,

I was just at work thinking about how nice it would be to make small adjustments to my active band length without having to completely retie my bands.

I only have a pen and a notebook to work with atm, but I thought this might be a good idea that someone might actually be able to fabricate and make useful.

Essentially, you would feed your flatbands through a slot in the top of your fork and through a slotted rod. The rod would have a ratcheting gear either in the center or on both ends. By turning the rod your bands would wrap around it providing the friction to keep them from slipping. Lifting a small spring steel lever would allow the gear to move freely in either direction, allowing you to make small adjustments to your active band length.

A "set phasers to stun/kill" idea. View attachment 374026
When do you estimate the completion of a prototype ?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Great idea. Makes a lot of sense for tuning.
Almost all of the time I use wrap and tuck and can change a set of bands in a couple of minutes now.
Last year though I was keen on these homemade aluminum clips. They are very fast to change a set of bands. Need a screwdriver but I've always got a multitool on me.
You could design these so the extra material hangs out the front maybe??
Or buy one of those frames with the spring loaded clips. They look nice.
tx, Ed
I've wanted to try some kind of clip but I've been hesitant because of how many people have complained about failures, though I've been thinking about clip designs as well. Like using the mechanics of a shubb capo to lock the clips to the front of the sling instead of screws. Lol, everything I seem to think of making will require some kind of precise metal work that I don't have the skills set to do, or parts/materials.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
When do you estimate the completion of a prototype ?
A long time from now.. Now I'm thinking that I should get a few guitar tuning machines since I'm sure that those would definitely hold band tension, probably some 2 part silicone mix so I can put a layer on one side of the slotted rod to increase the grip of the bands and help prevent any slippage and I need to figure out how I'm going to replace the head on the tuning machines with a slotted pan-head style screw; that way you don't have a knob sticking out somewhere and you could make your adjustments with something like a penny.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've wanted to try some kind of clip but I've been hesitant because of how many people have complained about failures, though I've been thinking about clip designs as well. Like using the mechanics of a shubb capo to lock the clips to the front of the sling instead of screws. Lol, everything I seem to think of making will require some kind of precise metal work that I don't have the skills set to do, or parts/materials.
Theres an idea.
How about a couple of guitar capos. They might look the fanciest but they would hold the bands on for a quick change or adjustment.......

·
Registered
192 Posts
Adjustability potential was the reason I ended up getting an Ocularis as my first production frame. It's ok when the bands are becoming shorter, but when the previously clamped part of the latex becomes active it felt a bit uneasy... That friction point has potential to nick the band. Latex rubbing on latex creates a lot of friction as well.

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy... Best of luck with your creation!

Edit: I know this is not what you're designing, but I just though of this... GZK fork photoshopped for multiple band lengths:
Green Human body Neck Gesture Finger

·
Registered
551 Posts
Adjustability potential was the reason I ended up getting an Ocularis as my first production frame. It's ok when the bands are becoming shorter, but when the previously clamped part of the latex becomes active it felt a bit uneasy... That friction point has potential to nick the band. Latex rubbing on latex creates a lot of friction as well.

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy... Best of luck with your creation!

Edit: I know this is not what you're designing, but I just though of this... GZK fork photoshopped for multiple band lengths:
View attachment 374105
That is a good idea!

·
Registered
192 Posts
My understanding is that patents are very specific as to what exactly is protected. Also, some are not applicable worldwide... and I'd say yes, privately you can build whatever you want as long as you don't sell it.

Some people on here seem to be very strict in terms of design protection, which I guess is fair... However, if I'm not mistaken the patent for the SPS specifies a sandwich / laminate slingshot with a metal core. Does that mean that whoever built a metal core frame infringed on said patent?

In my opinion slingshots are like chairs. You can't patent a design, just a specific innovation like the band attachment clips. Sadly whenever I've tried to start an honest and factual conversation on the issue there's either silence or unsubstantiated rants...

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Be aware that someone might already hold a patent on this. Just because it’s not being produced doesn’t mean they are sitting back waiting for you to infringe on their design. Just saying.
Be aware that someone might already hold a patent on this. Just because it’s not being produced doesn’t mean they are sitting back waiting for you to infringe on their design. Just saying.
This is true.. you would think that a patent would expire after 1-2 years of disuse, that would certainly clear the way for others.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
My understanding is that patents are very specific as to what exactly is protected. Also, some are not applicable worldwide... and I'd say yes, privately you can build whatever you want as long as you don't sell it.

Some people on here seem to be very strict in terms of design protection, which I guess is fair... However, if I'm not mistaken the patent for the SPS specifies a sandwich / laminate slingshot with a metal core. Does that mean that whoever built a metal core frame infringed on said patent?

In my opinion slingshots are like chairs. You can't patent a design, just a specific innovation like the band attachment clips. Sadly whenever I've tried to start an honest and factual conversation on the issue there's either silence or unsubstantiated rants...
How do you feel about unsubstantiated silence?

I have purposely stopped myself from duplicating some of the designs (slingshots) I've seen here just because they are very unique and I'd rather not hurt someone by stealing their creativity.. I have however made several slings based loosely off of designs that I've seen multiple people use. I have a hard time discerning where exactly the line is though.. a great example of a sling I'd like to copy is the "y-predator". I didn't see a template when I searched, so I assume it's not open to recreate.

P.s. all of my slings and ideas are 100% free to use/copy! I'll specifically ask for something not to be copied if I ever make something I'm that attached to.

·
Registered
192 Posts
How do you feel about unsubstantiated silence?

I have purposely stopped myself from duplicating some of the designs (slingshots) I've seen here just because they are very unique and I'd rather not hurt someone by stealing their creativity.. I have however made several slings based loosely off of designs that I've seen multiple people use. I have a hard time discerning where exactly the line is though.. a great example of a sling I'd like to copy is the "y-predator". I didn't see a template when I searched, so I assume it's not open to recreate.

P.s. all of my slings and ideas are 100% free to use/copy! I'll specifically ask for something not to be copied if I ever make something I'm that attached to.
I hate to see innovation and creativity being hindered for any reason. Maybe ask for permission if it would make you feel better, but don't stop yourself from creating.

I don't see a reason why someone would be hurt if their design is copied for personal use. I make ply copies of frames I find online too. Sometimes modifying some dimension. I never sold any, only shoot them or give them away. Would it be different if I sold them? And what is an original design? Maybe something that is made new from scratch... It's never totally scratch though. Makers take inspiration from other frames. Where does inspiration end and copying start? I can't speak for everyone and I am sure people have their own strong opinions on the issue...

If ever someone is sued, I can't see a court of law deciding in favor of an "original" design if the copy is even slightly modified. We can see the differences in design - we are experts on slingshots compared to a layman. However, they are all fundamentally so similar that a patent on a specific design seems impossible to me. We could use a copyright / patent / intellectual property lawyer on this. I am definitely not one.

Maybe we need to clarify: Are we talking personal use or commercial use? Are we talking law or are we talking feelings?

I feel I need to make clear that I mean no harm and disrespect to the creators of slingshot designs. Especially if they have a company behind their frames and it's their living. The slingshot community knows who made what and can choose to support whoever they feel is the righteous creator. Giving a total beginner a ply copy of a nice design I think is another thing altogether.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ich habe auf jedenfall Lust mit dieser Befestigung der Bänder etwas rumzuspielen und werde die Tage etwas experimentieren.

I definitely want to play around with this attachment of the tapes and will experiment a bit in the next few days.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ich habe auf jedenfall Lust mit dieser Befestigung der Bänder etwas rumzuspielen und werde die Tage etwas experimentieren.

I definitely want to play around with this attachment of the tapes and will experiment a bit in the next few days.
It's much smarter and easier than my idea!

Reactions: skarrd
21 - 40 of 58 Posts