Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
I just thought I would take a moment introduce you to the "shipping department" at A+ Slingshots today. This is my lovely wife, aka "peashootergirl" on here. She doesn't get to post much... you can kind of see why.

Here we are franticly trying to get a larger "merchant" order out in the post.

I know... I know... I need to get back in the shop and cut more wood!!!!

Here's a few "Baby BB Shooters" with the Speedloaders and BB's

Hope you enjoyed a peek into our little business and life!!!
Have a great day everybody!!!
Perry aka "pallan65"

Reactions: studer1972

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
So Pallan tell the truth Who's really in charge there????

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Harper.... I will let the pics speak for themselves.... notice who has the pen and paperwork, and who is wearing an apron?

I know my place!!!!
..............I got to get back to work before she finds out I'm in here on the computer

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
Nice pics, Perry, thanks for the peek. I hope you stay busy like that. Best wishes for you and the business, you're a pretty cool guy.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
It sure is nice to see the people behind the product !! Things like this this make the whole forunm feel like family !......even the ones we really don't admitt to ! LOL That BB shooter sure is a cute little thing !

·
~Pouch Maker~
15,472 Posts
Perry, Nice line up in shipping dpt. also eager to see PRODUCTION & MANUFACTURING areas....

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Great post!

I must say that I am impressed by the professional approach of the packaged products. It almost looks to perfect for handmade items!

Do you make one slingshot after the other, or do you make batches and take them through the stages?

Jörg

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Thanks everyone for your kind comments!!! Having a business who wanted to stock our items in their store really made us have to up our game a bit as far as packaging. They are still hand made one at a time by me. Joerg, I make them in batches I would say. As orders come in I have a "lead time" of up to a couple weeks now with so many orders coming in. I take usually about 4-6 catties at a time through the process in order that they are received. By the time I'm putting stain and poly coats on I have time to begin another batch or cut rubber, leather or tie more band assemblies. My sons sometimes help with cutting out the blanks that I finish out and even tying bands for me. Every couple of weeks I take a day and "run lead" (melt and pour ball ammo). After I created the templates for the pocket Deer Skin Ammo Pouch my wife has taken over keeping us in stock of them (cutting, sewing and assembly) and she does most of the shipping for me. I also need to credit her with coming up with the great packaging design you see. We even print them here at home as needed. I guess you could say it truly has become a "family" business. I'm thankful to say that it is keeping us busy!!! We really appreciate the business and all the fine people who like our products!!!

Reactions: studer1972

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Harper.... I will let the pics speak for themselves.... notice who has the pen and paperwork, and who is wearing an apron?

I know my place!!!!
..............I got to get back to work before she finds out I'm in here on the computer

[/quote]

What are you doing out of the shop?????

Ok, I'm just kidding!!!

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
Thanks everyone for your kind comments!!! Having a business who wanted to stock our items in their store really made us have to up our game a bit as far as packaging. They are still hand made one at a time by me. Joerg, I make them in batches I would say. As orders come in I have a "lead time" of up to a couple weeks now with so many orders coming in. I take usually about 4-6 catties at a time through the process in order that they are received. By the time I'm putting stain and poly coats on I have time to begin another batch or cut rubber, leather or tie more band assemblies. My sons sometimes help with cutting out the blanks that I finish out and even tying bands for me. Every couple of weeks I take a day and "run lead" (melt and pour ball ammo). After I created the templates for the pocket Deer Skin Ammo Pouch my wife has taken over keeping us in stock of them (cutting, sewing and assembly) and she does most of the shipping for me. I also need to credit her with coming up with the great packaging design you see. We even print them here at home as needed. I guess you could say it truly has become a "family" business. I'm thankful to say that it is keeping us busy!!! We really appreciate the business and all the fine people who like our products!!!
Im sure that I will with out a doubt come off as a smart xxx, Butt, I had a friend who is no longer with us and he had a shop where he made stair parts. A lathe is what he used and he made an attachment for the lathe that would take aliminum patters for his parts and he cut out some very intricate designes on all types of wood. He produced a bit that would cut with a pass. So instead of band saw perhaps you could look into easier mass production . Just a thought thats all.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey dgui,
Interesting idea, but I really don't want to mass produce. Don't get me wrong, I've certainly thought about it. A CNC wood router would be able to make my basic templates but at a considerably increased cost for outsourcing or to purchase one myself. While I'm always looking for reasonable and reliable ways to make my work a bit easier, I like being an Artisan/ Craftsman that hand makes my products "one at a time". I think it's part of what makes my products unique and something people value. I know it's a bit "old school" and "old world" but I kind of like that too.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
]Im sure that I will with out a doubt come off as a smart xxx, Butt, I had a friend who is no longer with us and he had a shop where he made stair parts. A lathe is what he used and he made an attachment for the lathe that would take aliminum patters for his parts and he cut out some very intricate designes on all types of wood. He produced a bit that would cut with a pass. So instead of band saw perhaps you could look into easier mass production . Just a thought thats all.
I've got some ideas myself, but this is not the thread for it, but I'll start a new one:

http://slingshotforu...tion-shortcuts/

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
What i like about your slingshots is what you get for your money, they are not out of the price range of the man in the street and by the looks of them you get a great and highly finished bit of kit, and you lead balls are very cheap, theres nothing like that over here in England, keep up the good work, jeff

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thye do look very professionaly in those packaging. much better then just throw them in the mail. By the way I did not think before that multiplex could be this nice too. Thye are really top of the line products .mate. I will need to get one sometimes.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hey dgui,
Interesting idea, but I really don't want to mass produce. Don't get me wrong, I've certainly thought about it. A CNC wood router would be able to make my basic templates but at a considerably increased cost for outsourcing or to purchase one myself. While I'm always looking for reasonable and reliable ways to make my work a bit easier, I like being an Artisan/ Craftsman that hand makes my products "one at a time". I think it's part of what makes my products unique and something people value. I know it's a bit "old school" and "old world" but I kind of like that too.
it is very intresting seeing how the professionals work, but what is the benefit of "doing one at a time"? when i saw cattys out, mostly i saw out 3 ore 4 at the same time. when i do sanding, i do it on 3 ore 4, when i get bored of sanding, maybe i go and saw some out and maybe i make some changings in my designs. so u see down left my basic pattern and the cattys i´ve maid from it. they are all diffrent! 4 this kind of work, time doesn´t matter. but my biggest time waisting process is the varnish. when i would try to varnish and stain one catty at the time, i have to stain, then wait one day, then varnish and wait one day, then the next layer of varnish and so on and on, one ore two weeks long. so i try to stain and varnish a few and not one at the time! so how can i make my cattys more unique, and what does it mean when one catty looks liked the other? maybe i don´t understand it because of my bad english?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I think your command of English is perfect and you make some good points. Mind if I move your post to the other thread where we discuss the merits of high-volume and parallel process manufacturing?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think your command of English is perfect and you make some good points. Mind if I move your post to the other thread where we discuss the merits of high-volume and parallel process manufacturing?
no problem to move this thread, hope it doesn´t look like i offenced pallan, this is not my intention! maybe when we discuss high-volume and parallel processing we could also discuss therms like costummade. i think the klivemakers have same problem with custum made, banch made, hand made, and so on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts