Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, I'm working on a sling bow project. I think I'd like to explore the idea of rigging it with tubes. I'm a flat band guy, but I think this slingbow lends itself to strong tubes. Any recommendations? This would be for target shooting only, but I'd still like to get as much power as I can. I plan to shoot standard 31" arrows.
Thanks in advance.
Oh I should say this slingbow has a six inch fork extension and has a seven inch fork gap. I'm using a drop away arrow rest instead of a whisker biscuit.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
I love these thought problems. I'm not very good at answers though, but I'm pretty good at questions. What is your draw length compared to the arrow? Are you going to use a release? Do these factors add up to or exceed the length of the arrow? With this in mind, is the 6" extension necessary? With the drop away prop and a 7" fork gap, 3060 maybe a good choice. I would buy a couple each of some cheap arrows with different spines to see what works good. I think that a medium to stiff might work best. :twocents:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Hello buddy ! .. I have tries most kinds of tubes .. and some of the snappiest heavy tubes I have ever used were the green roylan.. aka dub dub tubes .. they are good .. perfect for slinging arrows ! .. also have used some thick (probably1.5..) natural latex ... those were really good .. hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
I'd be keen to find out how spine related to a slingbow. Has anyone actually researched that as yet? I suspect it may be on par with a longbow...
We're going to try to work something out. Starting out with really light shafts with target nibs then work our way up. I would think that anything is going to be over spined, we'll see stay tuned.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love these thought problems. I'm not very good at answers though, but I'm pretty good at questions. What is your draw length compared to the arrow? Are you going to use a release? Do these factors add up to or exceed the length of the arrow? With this in mind, is the 6" extension necessary? With the drop away prop and a 7" fork gap, 3060 maybe a good choice. I would buy a couple each of some cheap arrows with different spines to see what works good. I think that a medium to stiff might work best. :twocents:
Ok, I'm very new to slinging arrows so I'll do my best to answer your questions. When I built this frame it wasn't intended as a slingbow. It was just meant to be a starship, hence the fork extension. After I made it, I realized just how much power I can generate with it, so I decided to make it a slingbow. The arrow rest sits at about the midway point of the fork extension, but the power stroke travels much further which is why I'm trying a fall away rest instead of a whisker biscuit.
I know virtually nothing about arrows and archery. Luckily lbojoe has been helping me with the R&D on this build, and I've been picking Luck overSkill's brain for what works for him as well. I'll have some pics and hopefully a progress vid before long.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello buddy ! .. I have tries most kinds of tubes .. and some of the snappiest heavy tubes I have ever used were the green roylan.. aka dub dub tubes .. they are good .. perfect for slinging arrows ! .. also have used some thick (probably1.5..) natural latex ... those were really good .. hope this helps
Thanks for the tips buddy. I think I might go for those dub dubs. If they're good enough for you, they're certainly good enough for me. Do they come in different sizes?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'd be keen to find out how spine related to a slingbow. Has anyone actually researched that as yet? I suspect it may be on par with a longbow...
I thought that spine was a consideration with traditional bows because of archer's paradox. That is, the arrow flexing around the bow. My understanding is that spine is not as much of a consideration with a slingbow because it is center-shot.
Maybe we can get one of the more experience slingbow shooters to chime in.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Thanks for the tips buddy. I think I might go for those dub dubs. If they're good enough for you, they're certainly good enough for me. Do they come in different sizes?
No problem my friend! :) ... they are heavy ! .. but not slow like most heavy draw tubes .. I actually have a video of me shooting with the orange dub dub .. a arrow frameless.. I will post here bud .. they have green orange and yellow .. each one lighter draw .. :)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
No problem my friend! :) ... they are heavy ! .. but not slow like most heavy draw tubes .. I actually have a video of me shooting with the orange dub dub .. a arrow frameless.. I will post here bud .. they have green orange and yellow .. each one lighter draw .. :)

You are one brave man!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Arrow spine and slingbows.

I asked Perry at A+ Slingshots for his perspective on this issue. This summarizes a more detailed explanation:

Slingbows are center-shot, which makes arrow spine less important than on a trad. bow.

For safety - do not shoot arrows that are spined less than the recommended spine on a trad. arrow chart. Thus while the center shot means that you can shoot a greater range of spines, be safe and avoid shooting arrows that are lighter than the recommendations on a trad. arrow chart.

Nock and fletching alignment is critical on a slingbow. Odd feather must be down. A standard fleteched arrow will not have the proper nock alignment. Nock alignment can be determined by using an arrow with a turnable nock, such as an Easton Storm. Once you have the alignment correct, it will serve as a guide for knock alignment on other arrows.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts

You are one brave man!
Haha thank you !

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Arrow spine and slingbows.

I asked Perry at A+ Slingshots for his perspective on this issue. This summarizes a more detailed explanation:

Slingbows are center-shot, which makes arrow spine less important than on a trad. bow.

For safety - do not shoot arrows that are spined less than the recommended spine on a trad. arrow chart. Thus while the center shot means that you can shoot a greater range of spines, be safe and avoid shooting arrows that are lighter than the recommendations on a trad. arrow chart.

Nock and fletching alignment is critical on a slingbow. Odd feather must be down. A standard fleteched arrow will not have the proper nock alignment. Nock alignment can be determined by using an arrow with a turnable nock, such as an Easton Storm. Once you have the alignment correct, it will serve as a guide for knock alignment on other arrows.
Thanks for the help. There's so much that goes into all of this. I could never do it without the help of this forum!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.