Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought myself a Scout LT and was toying with the idea of wrapping it up and putting it under the tree... To me from Santa. I was on my morning walkabout at work and found a great place to shoot undisturbed. It's littered with bottles and other target materials, so excitedly, I hustled back to my desk and banded up my LT.

Lunch couldn't come quick enough and when it finally did, I stuffed my pockets with ammo and my LT and headed to the shooting spot. I grabbed a couple bottles and sat them up on a rock and backed off a decent distance. My first few "shots" fell harmlessly to the ground in front of me. My last shooting was done at night and I wasn't sure where those flyers were going. Now, as I suspected before, I realize my release is all screwed up. So, I focused on my release and managed to get a few good shots off. I could actually see that one was just left of my intended target. Then another bad release, then, I splattered the bottle!!

Instantly, a young coyote appeared and went right to the aforementioned well dispatched bottle. He whiffed around the broken bottle, then he played with the plastic bottle I had set up, but yet shot at. He knew I was there. He watched me fairly intently, then moved off to the side and continued to watch me. I fired off a few more shots that were failed attempts. My brand new pouch tore, probably from my whiff shots, so I packed it in and walked back to work. By this time, the coyote was only about 15-20 feet away from me and completely unphased by me.

Kind of cool. I can't wait until lunch tomorrow!

Mark

·
Neophyte
2,095 Posts
I may be being paranoid but when animals like that don't react to humans, they may be rabid. From my own experience of being attacked by a rabid fox and the ensuing treatment it is not worth the risk. I would avoid that coyote for sure but like I said I maybe paranoid, but I can guarantee that the treatment for rabies is not fun in the least. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may be being paranoid but when animals like that don't react to humans, they may be rabid. From my own experience of being attacked by a rabid fox and the ensuing treatment it is not worth the risk. I would avoid that coyote for sure but like I said I maybe paranoid, but I can guarantee that the treatment for rabies is not fun in the least. Just my $0.02.
Possibly. I wasn't too worried, though. Daylight coyote sightings are pretty common out here. It's industrial and a lot of guys feed them. At one point, several years ago, there were a pair of coydogs that used to come up into our shop looking for handouts. I see them when I'm out on my walkabouts, but they are usually keeping their distance from me. I don't think this one knew I was there, for a minute. By that time, I think he was more curious, than anything. Definitely not aggressive and no aggressive posture was shown. He was just a pup.

Mark

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of pouch were you using ?
The one that came with the Scout LT. I bought a couple extra bandsets, so I'm good to go. I have some extra pouches I got with my GZK order, along with some tying material. So... I will be tying up a band set sooner as opposed to later!

Mark

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I should have started my post off by stating I am a brand newbie. You can probably tell. I have watched a few videos and have just enough knowledge to be a danger to myself. Having fun and now I'm a little giddy about ordering up another slingshot to have under the tree to me from Santa! I think my Scout will be my work slingshot.

Mark

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the words of encouragement! I'm enthused about shooting and I was seriously stoked by the good shots I got off.... They were going pretty much where I wanted. My release needs work, though. I think I just need to practice more and the consistency will come. But the feeling I got, when I splattered that bottle, took me straight back to my youth, walking the ditches with my wrist rocket, searching for targets. Once in a while, you'd get lucky and find a full bottle of beer. Great fun to crack one of those with a marble!

Thanks again for the encouragement. This is a great place to learn and fellowship.

Mark

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
And.....speaking of wrist rockets, lots of us have very fond memories of shooting wrist rockets and some of us still shoot them. Lots of good information in the modification sub-forum. Simplest way to start is to cut off the bands even with the end of the forks, leaving the rest on the fork for a grippy surface to wrap and tuck some flat bands. From there, almost anything is possible. Great way to experiment and relive your youthful adventures.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm. Wonder if one of your coworkers has been feeding that varmint!?
Possibly. There are other industries around us and there is a street about 30 yards behind where I'm standing. Definitely not scared and definitely not threatening, but clearly this place is right where it hangs out, or lives. Just like yesterday, it was right there as soon as I started shooting.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The story continues.

I decided to go back to my spot one more time today. This time, armed with dog treats that my "grand-dog" has been turning his nose up at. I shot a few times and almost on cue, my little friend showed up.

At first, he made like he didn't see me, but I knew better. He inched closer before making eye contact, at which time he took a big old dump. I don't know if that is a canine welcome gesture, or what, but there was no growl, no threat, so I tossed a treat his way. He didn't even hesitate. So, while he ate, I shot. We did this for a while and it was a lot of fun!

My release was much better today. I had a couple fumbles, but most went downrange and I even managed to smack my intended target three times.

After a while, I noticed my friend was no longer eating his treats, but piling them up, instead. I figured my rent had been paid for the day, so I took off and came back to the office.

Good times! I'll keep doing it this way until my little friend starts bringing his friends.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.