Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· "Mighty Can Smiter"
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old woodshop on base is closing down and moving to a new location, I managed to go through there wood pile to get some "scraps" and made a huge score.

The boards on the left are a type of philippine mahogany (not true mahogany) I can:t remember the exact species, but it actually is from the phillipines

The two pieces on the right are from a trunk of a sakura Japanese cherry tree, if you are familiar with the cherry blossems here or Washington D.C. .. that:s it.

at the end of Aug. the new fully stocked woodshop should be open, and I will be tearing away at these pieces attempting to make something quasi-gallery worthy

Wood Rectangle Floor Flooring Hardwood

Thanks

LGD

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Nice wood, have fun with it and have a safe move.

· Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Very nice score!

· "Mighty Can Smiter"
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK Question:

if you notice the piece of sakura trunk, far right of pic. I was noticing by the run of the bark that the piece isnt that thick.. I know grain direction is important on board cuts, but I think to outline a slingshot it may be going "against" the grain". Is that so? Does it matter if my template is running on top of the trunk (the wide section of the wood). Or does it not matter how I lay the pattern to make the slingshot?

LGD

· Registered
397 Posts
OK Question:

if you notice the piece of sakura trunk, far right of pic. I was noticing by the run of the bark that the piece isnt that thick.. I know grain direction is important on board cuts, but I think to outline a slingshot it may be going "against" the grain". Is that so? Does it matter if my template is running on top of the trunk (the wide section of the wood). Or does it not matter how I lay the pattern to make the slingshot?

LGD
Why not use it as a lamination ,then you can orient the figure for most beauty and worry about strength in the middle pieces of the layup, then you can have both beauty and functional strength,

· "Mighty Can Smiter"
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK Question:

LGD
Why not use it as a lamination ,then you can orient the figure for most beauty and worry about strength in the middle pieces of the layup, then you can have both beauty and functional strength,
[/quote]

Because that's a big chunk of Japanese cherry wood and is quite strong and would hate to use it as mere lamination,,, but if that's my only choice I may have to reconsider .

· Over 9001 Warning Points!
1,953 Posts
mmmmm, Sakura.... run the grain butt to forks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.