Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After stuffing up tying on some bands once more I thought I'd give the quick attach method a go. Walnut with a rock maple lanyard hole and a couple of brass "cats eyes".
Pioneered by Wingshooter and Bill Hays, they folded/rolled theirs, but I didn't have much luck doing it that way so went for the matchstick method (actually it's a bamboo skewer). After 75 shots I haven't noticed any movement and this way also allows for one half of the fold to act as a cushion against the fork. An unexpected bonus was if you leave the skewer sticking out of the top a bit, you can use it as a sight, and another bonus doing it this way is I don't see why you couldn't leave a couple of inches of fold hanging down until you get your length sorted out.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Looks good. Glad to hear of your experiences with that band attachment. I've gotta give that a try.

Cheers ....... Charles

·
Premium Member
4,900 Posts
After stuffing up tying on some bands once more I thought I'd give the quick attach method a go. Walnut with a rock maple lanyard hole and a couple of brass "cats eyes".
Pioneered by Wingshooter and Bill Hays, they folded/rolled theirs, but I didn't have much luck doing it that way so went for the matchstick method (actually it's a bamboo skewer). After 75 shots I haven't noticed any movement and this way also allows for one half of the fold to act as a cushion against the fork. An unexpected bonus was if you leave the skewer sticking out of the top a bit, you can use it as a sight, and another bonus doing it this way is I don't see why you couldn't leave a couple of inches of fold hanging down until you get your length sorted out.
Nice one Wombat, Love the walnut!..I'm going to have to try that attachment!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Gorgeous mate, I'm liking the look of that walnut!

·
See The Target
21,548 Posts
The reason you were having slippage is your slot is cut a a little to wide. Use a smaller saw blade. Sand as needed. Make sure you roll the band before stretching and inserting. It works. No luck involved. Just physics.

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
Very pretty little walnut shooter you've got there!
The attachment looks pretty good as well.... maybe the hole is a touch large though, I know I can't get both a bamboo skewer AND the theraband in one of my attachment holes. For yours you can probably fold the theraband around a piece of small tube, like 1745, and then stretch pull the thing into place, might work better than the skewer.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The reason you were having slippage is your slot is cut a a little to wide. Use a smaller saw blade. Sand as needed. Make sure you roll the band before stretching and inserting. It works. No luck involved. Just physics.
I've never used walnut before. when it comes to sanding it's very soft and so yeah the slot did end up being a bit bigger then intended!!
oh well live and learn.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I like the wood you used for this slingshot. I also like nice finish that it has. Saludos

1 - 16 of 16 Posts