Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently started to make some slingshots that are more like pieces of art and not just effective shooters. It is fun!

I have a new idea that can potentially look very nice. Abalone! Those are laminated boards of mussel shells glued together. They are very thin. Like this one (sorry for the German):

http://www.edelholzverkauf.de/product_info.php?cPath=63_65&products_id=3375

I would use thin layers of different metal (copper and steel) to form the basic slingshot, then laminate the Abalone on top. So after the rounding, the sides can be polished and will shine, so to match the gloss of the Abalone.

What do you think? Has anybody tried this before?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Looks like really pretty stuff. I'm still at the trying not to slice off a finger stage of making things, but what you describe sounds possible.

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,647 Posts
I've used some working on guitars in the past. I think it could be done. It would make a truly amazing catty. It would be similar to the knives and guns I've seen.

·
Super Moderator
6,513 Posts
Awesome idea Joerg! Abalone is really beautiful. I never did a Laminate from it or even had the opportunity to work it but I'm sure it would be a wonderful piece. Go for it Bud!
Flatband

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I've used abalone laminate, it flakes, it does not look as good as natural shell. You're better off with mother of pearl. Let me know if you need some.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts