Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1" disc at 10 meters. What's your percentage of hits on average? Three out of 10? Six out of 10? 10 out of 10?

I'm not looking for a scientific study, just an informal comparison with other shooters out there.

I'm getting 3 to 4 out of ten. I've gotten 6 in a row once, 5 in a row quite a few times.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
First off, I would say don't compare yourself to others, but just try to challenge yourself to get better everytime you shoot. And if your getting better you doing great!!! I've been shooting and carrying a flip everyday since I was 4, so at 10 meters I'd hope to hit 10 for 10. If I missed one I'd now that my release was probably sloppy.

But 1" is a small target, so 5 or 6 of ten is really good, and I'm guessing your misses are very close.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First off, I would say don't compare yourself to others, but just try to challenge yourself to get better everytime you shoot. And if your getting better you doing great!!! I've been shooting and carrying a flip everyday since I was 4, so at 10 meters I'd hope to hit 10 for 10. If I missed one I'd now that my release was probably sloppy.

But 1" is a small target, so 5 or 6 of ten is really good, and I'm guessing your misses are very close.
Competitions are really just comparing yourself to others, wouldn't you say? A few years ago I might have competed, but I did that for years in tennis and now I don't like to compete in anything. I am still interested in how I do compare, however, especially to folks like you have been shooting for a long time. I took this up just three years ago, and I don't know anyone near me who shoots, so I've definitely been curious about how I compare.

10 out of 10 is amazing shooting.

You're right, my misses are very close. I consider a 2" miss to be a bad one. On the other hand, I miss a 2" target more than I should, which I'm sure is the mental error of aiming for the whole target instead of a small spot on it.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,444 Posts

And I've seen some of your shots Shane, I'd bet money on your 10 for 10 any day brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Check out the ISCOR - slingshot rankings if you haven't seen it - and their criteria for moving up in rankings.........
International Slingshot Catapult Online Ranking
I'd like to do that someday. My score right now would be, "ummm, you can start anytime, now!"

Mark

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Competition participation is how you get comparisons. If you are not in it to beat someone, then it becomes a yardstick of your advancement.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am currently shooting in my basement at a 2 inch target only 23 feet away, and still can't hit it 10/10, so there's that. Lol. Sounds like you're doing great.

Also happy to hear you are (or were?) a tennis player. I very much enjoy tennis.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am currently shooting in my basement at a 2 inch target only 23 feet away, and still can't hit it 10/10, so there's that. Lol. Sounds like you're doing great.

Also happy to hear you are (or were?) a tennis player. I very much enjoy tennis.

Yes, tennis was my entire life (when not at work) for ten years or so. I did very well in competition, but my favorite part was improving, and I loved practice and drills. Slingshot shooting has filled that void for me. My home setup allows me to shoot year-round. I'm only interested in accuracy, so all I do is work at 10 meters and try to improve. That's fun for me.

I can see my own improvement, but I often wonder how I compare to other shooters. I live in Colorado where slingshots are not much of a thing, and as I've said I don't really want to compete, so this thread is just a way to see how I compare to others.

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
602 Posts

Competitions are really just comparing yourself to others, wouldn't you say? A few years ago I might have competed, but I did that for years in tennis and now I don't like to compete in anything. I am still interested in how I do compare, however, especially to folks like you have been shooting for a long time. I took this up just three years ago, and I don't know anyone near me who shoots, so I've definitely been curious about how I compare.

10 out of 10 is amazing shooting.

You're right, my misses are very close. I consider a 2" miss to be a bad one. On the other hand, I miss a 2" target more than I should, which I'm sure is the mental error of aiming for the whole target instead of a small spot on it.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback.
Sounds to me like you're well on your way to becoming a 'Top Shot'!

I have the same passion for accuracy as you. I have found that shooting paper, as opposed to spinner targets, has really helped me analyze and work on my faults. Paper doesn't lie! That's why I use it. I draw a 1&1/4" circle with a bright orange marker on a paper plate and hang it in my catch box. As @lbojoe said, some days are better than others, but on 'good days' I'm putting 50% of my shots on target. Sometimes even a little better.

I highlighted what you said in your comment because "focus" is one of the keys to accuracy. "Aim small, miss small"!

·
Mojave Mo
5,181 Posts
I like these threads because I get to reflect on the 'training' my Pops gave me and my brother when we were urchins. 'First hit luck, two in a row skill. You get frustrated and show it you are out, most in a row wins it all'! This rule applied to EVERYTHING!!! We have changed it up as adults now that Pops is gone. I expect to hit my target exactly where I am looking.... every single time. This includes tossing a ball of paper into a glass sitting on the kitchen counter. With my sling if I miss the first three shots then I put it down and walk away and come back once I delete what happened. My total goal is to stay cool and calm and visualize each shot. My best ever is 14 in a row at 10m, a miss, and then 8 more in a row with a PP Scorpion.
Anybody ever watch a video by KalevalaSlingshot? That dude's resting pulse must be at about 20bpm. He cuts a card and makes it look boring. I told my wife I want a beard like his an she said, "Sure. You can grow one of those for your 4th wife". Summary: Stay Cool!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like these threads because I get to reflect on the 'training' my Pops gave me and my brother when we were urchins. 'First hit luck, two in a row skill. You get frustrated and show it you are out, most in a row wins it all'! This rule applied to EVERYTHING!!! We have changed it up as adults now that Pops is gone. I expect to hit my target exactly where I am looking.... every single time. This includes tossing a ball of paper into a glass sitting on the kitchen counter. With my sling if I miss the first three shots then I put it down and walk away and come back once I delete what happened. My total goal is to stay cool and calm and visualize each shot. My best ever is 14 in a row at 10m, a miss, and then 8 more in a row with a PP Scorpion.
Anybody ever watch a video by KalevalaSlingshot? That dude's resting pulse must be at about 20bpm. He cuts a card and makes it look boring. I told my wife I want a beard like his an she said, "Sure. You can grow one of those for your 4th wife". Summary: Stay Cool!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Wow, that's some incredible shooting. It's good to know that's possible.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts