Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious as to what a lot use as reasonable standards to shoot for. ' Saw Bill's "matchstick" shooting contest, but not quite ready for that yet. ' Did see the ISCOR website and their standards and improvement levels seem to be pretty good for ascertaining ones ability/accuracy. Am I missing something or is this a good ranking system?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I like the Iscor standard. It really requires consistency, and not just a few good shots.
When I get a mirror I will try it, along with some card cutting ????

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
It's the one Joey just built for me. Im really likin it.
But Slingshots for me are mostly for fun. I spent a lifetime competing. No more!
Well, I don't even have the option to compete, no tournaments here. So I am just competing against myself, and nurturing dreams of someday competing with other people. Not for competition's sake, but simply for getting to meet like minded folks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think consistency is the biggest thing from reading a bunch of posts on this topic.

A great way to not lie to yourself and encourage improvement seems to be to shoot at a paper target. That way you don't end up imagining something was a near miss even though it was severely inches off.

I see it often said that good accuracy is being able to hit pretty much every shot on a target the size of the head of whatever animal you might hunt, from the distance you should hunt from. That won't appeal to everyone though.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I think consistency is the biggest thing from reading a bunch of posts on this topic.

A great way to not lie to yourself and encourage improvement seems to be to shoot at a paper target. That way you don't end up imagining something was a near miss even though it was severely inches off.

I see it often said that good accuracy is being able to hit pretty much every shot on a target the size of the head of whatever animal you might hunt, from the distance you should hunt from. That won't appeal to everyone though.
What is accurate or not is subjective. Everyone sets his own standards according to what gives him enjoyment out of the hobby!
If someone just wants to smash cans from 7 feet, that's fine, if someone wants to hit the tip of a needle repeatedly from 50 feet, that's also fine :)

Reactions: ash

·
679 Post Club
3,015 Posts
The ISCOR stuff is a great programme for developing your shooting. I've advanced so much by pursuing each qualifier that I'm now shooting at a level I though was impossible a few months ago. I don't know how it is for other shooters, but I found the 2nd degree Marksman task much harder than the 1st degree Sharpshooter, but practising the smaller target helped hugely with consistency on the big target. Now it's the Expert levels that seem impossible!!

The other thing to try is the badges offered here on SSF for 10m, 20m, 25m and 30m. Look here: https://slingshotforum.com/topic/20427-competition-slingshot-qualification-badge/

Get some silicone or leather spinners from Aliexpress and get into it:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tactical-Hunting-Shooting-Target-Dia-3cm-4cm-5cm-6cm-Plastic-Target-Bullseye-For-Slingshot-Catapult-Shooting/32851091696.html?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2cm-3cm-4cm-5cm-6cm-7cm-8cm-Target-Slingshot-Shooting-Catapult-Archery-Sports-Tactical-Hunting-Shoot/32901927146.html?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Ash,

'Think those ISCOR goals are really good to try to improve skills - also think those orange silicone targets are the best. 'See that simpleshot is now selling them in the U.S.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The silicon ones that have the logo "AGS", are not so good. They are a stiffer plastic and didn't live more than half an hour of shooting. The others, with the dragon logo, yeah, those are nigh indestructible. They can be destroyed, but you would forget when you hanged them by then.
I can't find larger than 4cm with the dragon logo though. So I ordered some leather ones to practice something like knock down targets but with spinners.
No 10cm spinners available either. So a DIY leather spinner is the way to go I guess.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Curious as to what a lot use as reasonable standards to shoot for. ' Saw Bill's "matchstick" shooting contest, but not quite ready for that yet. ' Did see the ISCOR website and their standards and improvement levels seem to be pretty good for ascertaining ones ability/accuracy. Am I missing something or is this a good ranking system?
Keep in mind, there is what a person is actually capable of shooting... and then there's doing it in front of an audience.

For example, at the SEST I shot with a bunch of people before the contest, by ourselves with no crowd anxiety issues and to a person every one of them shot much much better without the crowd watching... Some shot just as well if not better than me and some were "right there"....

But when they got up to shoot in front of an audience, all the sudden their shooting went all kinds of crazy.... holding hand visibly shaking by as much as an inch or more.... whereas before, when nobody but a couple of people were shooting with them they shot really really well, with very little to no hand shake whatsoever...

What this means is, there are some very good shooters out there, that you'll probably never hear about... just because they get performance anxiety.

But shooting with them one on one... you will soon see they can shoot extremely well, on par with the best there is.

So when you see someone doing their shooting on video... more often than not, that person is also experiencing at least some performance anxiety because they know their video will most likely be seen by their peers and potentially many many more.

In other words... there's two types of accuracy you can achieve.... accuracy that you, yourself, know you are capable of.... maybe hitting the 40mm target 95% of the time with no problem.... and then the accuracy you can achieve in front of an audience, which may reduce your percentage by as much or more than 50% when shooting at the same targets.

My suggestion, therefore, is to video your shooting sessions.... and upload your special challenge shots to youtube and to this forum, so that you get used to shooting with more pressure and then, whether you shoot by yourself, or in front of an audience... you will be able to shoot consistently better regardless of circumstance.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
And then we have the exception to the rule. I really shoot better when people watch me, especially better shooters than I am. For some reason, when I shoot along with better shooters, my anxiety falls to zero, and I am super calm. Believe it or not, when I shoot alone I do have to calm myself.
If only I was a better shot overall :)
I think my secret is that I fully recognise that I can't surpass the fellow shooter, therefore I feel no pressure and shoot a bit better than my usual.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts