Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been noticing lately that, sometimes, my performance jumps between the different slingshots I have in a really drastic way. For example I could pick up my TTF PPMG and hit a tin can time and time again, but the next day, I could be continuously missing badly, then use my GZK Hammer from the same distance, with the same setup, and suddenly spring back to getting constant hits. I find it a strange habit, and was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I don't know if you shoot instinctively or not but I have found that when I shoot a different slingshot if takes me a two or three shots to get a sense of how it feels and then things start settling down. Having so said, keep in mind that I shoot OTT and there could be a difference with TTF which I have very little experience with.

I have a similar thing happening with right or left-hand swithching. Three to five shots and my brain starts working out the details.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Hi all, I've been noticing lately that, sometimes, my performance jumps between the different slingshots I have in a really drastic way. For example I could pick up my TTF PPMG and hit a tin can time and time again, but the next day, I could be continuously missing badly, then use my GZK Hammer from the same distance, with the same setup, and suddenly spring back to getting constant hits. I find it a strange habit, and was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this? Cheers.
Yup, sometimes that happens to me too. I spend a bit of time with the "frustrating frame" going over my shooting sequence. If that doesn't help then I put it away for now and enjoy what does work that day. You pick another slingshot and enjoy the shooting. You can always come back to the other frame another day.

Have you ever been out golfing and had your 3 or 5 wood go sour on you? It worked great the game before but now you struggle with the club. You put the fairway woods away and manage to crush some nice shots with your 3 or 4 iron or the hybrids instead. You picked another club and enjoyed the game. You can always come back to the fairway woods another day.

If you are in the game for fun then enjoy what is fun. If you are in it for a money win or trophy then spend more time analyzing, video recording, and breaking down your sequence.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the replies everyone, all of them were much appreciated! As far as I'm aware, my anchor point stays exactly the same, which would normally explain the off shots if I were switching between a catty with narrow forks and one with especially wide forks, but some days it really doesn't seem to make a difference. I've noticed that I'm relying far too much on aiming, and to be honest I think I have daily preferences on a subconscious level. I'll try to train my instinctive shooting back up to scratch again, and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Having a bad day with a specific frame, or pouch, or band configuration etc, but shooting well with another, is purely psychological. As long as the technique remains the same, so should the end result.
The only difference between frames that really affects shot placement is fork width. Yes, some frames are more comfortable to hold straight than others, and of course this affects accuracy too, but the main difference is fork width affecting elevation.
Aiming by itself is no issue, but over-aiming is detrimental, as the focus shifts from shot technique. Aiming should be considered as a simple part of the shot sequence, nothing more than pouch hold for example, and no more focus should be assigned to it.
Of course there is the other side.....under-aiming.....but that's another story as it doesnt affect everyone!

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
When we were running test years ago and I was shooting double bands per side, this would happen quite often. A band on one side would start tearing and reduce the pull on that side because the stretch of the torn section, but the point of impact did not change that I could notice, even on the bench. I still shoot double bands, but now I shoot Saunders bands which are double length, so they are folded at the pouch and always break right at the pouch for me, so someone else will have to re-test that hypothesis

Reactions: ConnorA9

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Having a bad day with a specific frame, or pouch, or band configuration etc, but shooting well with another, is purely psychological. As long as the technique remains the same, so should the end result.
The only difference between frames that really affects shot placement is fork width. Yes, some frames are more comfortable to hold straight than others, and of course this affects accuracy too, but the main difference is fork width affecting elevation.
Aiming by itself is no issue, but over-aiming is detrimental, as the focus shifts from shot technique. Aiming should be considered as a simple part of the shot sequence, nothing more than pouch hold for example, and no more focus should be assigned to it.
Of course there is the other side.....under-aiming.....but that's another story as it doesnt affect everyone!
Cheers, you're absolutely right. I must have got into the habit of over-thinking it all, recently. Sometimes, thinking about something completely different while aiming and shooting can bring around pretty good results for me, but as soon as the process enters my mind, I start missing or not getting the point I wish to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.