Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Out of curiosity, anyone else ever use acorns (or any other nuts) as ammo? Got a big ole oak tree out in the front yard and I've got plenty of em. They're not the most accurate or uniform form of ammo but they're fun to launch around, and they're bio-degradable in case I lose em.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I admit I also used my slingshot to crack a few hazelnuts quickly haha. Just set up a small block of wood about 6 feet away on a chair, shot a hazelnut at it, and the nut would be perfectly shelled. Hows that for simultaneously being lazy and being inventive!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Squirrels seem to like it too so long as they don't get pelted. May actually be good bait now that I think about it, but I'm not sure about the laws around it. Might research that later.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Acorns are relatively accurate when they're fresh i.e. green and relatively weighty because of their high water content. In ballistic terms, their generally consistent symmetric shape does allow for a fair degree of accuracy up to 6 to 8 yards - once again, when they are fresh off the tree.

With the right bands or tubes, they do deliver considerable oomph, and shatter when they hit hard objects - a great safety feature.

When they dry out, they lose that much needed weight stability because of the shift of inner mass, which subsequently makes them rather useless in spite of their good symmetry. I made a video a few years back on the subject - check it out here:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.