Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading and watching everything bill Hays says about TTF shooting I'm pretty confident that that's the way I'll always do most of my shooting. Aiming is relatively easy, hand slaps almost never happen, and it just seems to make sense to me. It also seems that RTS's are rare. OTT is obviously a viable way to shoot or so many people wouldn't use it and every sling maker wouldn't build them. I've done a few searches, but what's the primary reason you shoot OTT? Thanks in advance!

Charles

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Hi, great question. I started shooting TTF and personally I didn't find it as accurate for my shooting Style. I have since switched to Ott and really like it. I use a fiber optic site either added to the very corner of my fork or it's has a adjustable rail that lets me move it to get my aim just right. One reason I've heard people like over the top better is that you don't lose the target when you make a long shot, with ttf you have to hold you're aiming point above the target which means you can't see the target. Not sure if that's really an issue for 20 meters or less but that's what I've heard. I also like the fact that's you can use natural Forks Over the Top much easier then with TTF.

I'm sure many people will tell you all the advantages of TTF but for me after trying it I'm an Ott all the way.

Good luck and I guess the only way you'll really know is if you try them both.

Cheers

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, great question. I started shooting TTF and personally I didn't find it as accurate for my shooting Style. I have since switched to Ott and really like it. I use a fiber optic site either added to the very corner of my fork or it's has a adjustable rail that lets me move it to get my aim just right. One reason I've heard people like over the top better is that you don't lose the target when you make a long shot, with ttf you have to hold you're aiming point above the target which means you can't see the target. Not sure if that's really an issue for 20 meters or less but that's what I've heard. I also like the fact that's you can use natural Forks Over the Top much easier then with TTF.

I'm sure many people will tell you all the advantages of TTF but for me after trying it I'm an Ott all the way.

Good luck and I guess the only way you'll really know is if you try them both.

Cheers
Good points. I definitely have to hold under or over depending on range and I can see how OTT might have advantages there. Are hand slap and RTS really big issues if using good technique? Is the "wrist flip" I see mentioned necessary? Maybe I'll grab a Scout or a Chinese OTT and give it an honest try. I appreciate the help.

Charles

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
So Hand slap can be an issue if you have overpowered bands for your ammo. And if your Technique is not good. I just wrapped a couple wraps of leather around my index finger with a rubber band and that stopped the pain of slap for the most part until I figure it out. The wrist flip is not necessary and for me I don't feel like I'm is accurate with it at this point. I just hold steady and try and keep still until I see the ammo go into the catch box. Not sure if I was doing the flip right but for now I'm not doing it and having good success.

I have a brand new Scout XT from simple shot with the metal clips that I'd be willing to sell if you would like it? I will throw in a couple homemade pouches that I like and 15" of .8 black simpleshot latex. It already has a set of hunting bands on it that can go with it, they are double layer of 1/2" by 1/4" and that I was testing out. You can have the whole lot for $35 shipping included. I will even throw in two of my homemade slingshots made with ply and coated in epoxy that I don't use anymore because I moved to a different design. Either way the Scout is a great choice because you can try every Style of grip plus both Ott and ttf. This is how I ended on my style of grip the hammer grip, I was using the pinch grip for a long time and just gave it a go and the hammer grip felt amazing to me and then all my old slingshot that I made that I like from plywood I didn't use anymore because they were all designed for the pinch or brace grip. So it is good to try all different designs because after 2 months of shooting I found my design that I really love.

No worries let me know about the Scout XT either way good to have you in the group.

Cheers

·
Registered
83 Posts
I will receive my first ttf next week, but I believe most points are already told. OTT has some advantages if you are shooting at different ranges. For example you can change your reference point instead of always find a new anchor. RTS are quit rare. Never happens to me until now and the only ones I've seen are from Tobse, when he experimented with 100 joule shots
Stay concentrated and you are fine. Both techniques have their advantages. I like Ott because I can Aline my bands really good. That's one thing less in the equation for accuracy ;) At the moment I'm just need to perfect my anchor point and my all around stand to get perfect accuracy:)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Hand slap can be an issue if you have overpowered bands for your ammo. And if your Technique is not good. I just wrapped a couple wraps of leather around my index finger with a rubber band and that stopped the pain of slap for the most part until I figure it out. The wrist flip is not necessary and for me I don't feel like I'm is accurate with it at this point. I just hold steady and try and keep still until I see the ammo go into the catch box. Not sure if I was doing the flip right but for now I'm not doing it and having good success.

I have a brand new Scout XT from simple shot with the metal clips that I'd be willing to sell if you would like it? I will throw in a couple homemade pouches that I like and 15" of .8 black simpleshot latex. It already has a set of hunting bands on it that can go with it, they are double layer of 1/2" by 1/4" and that I was testing out. You can have the whole lot for $35 shipping included. I will even throw in two of my homemade slingshots made with ply and coated in epoxy that I don't use anymore because I moved to a different design. Either way the Scout is a great choice because you can try every Style of grip plus both Ott and ttf. This is how I ended on my style of grip the hammer grip, I was using the pinch grip for a long time and just gave it a go and the hammer grip felt amazing to me and then all my old slingshot that I made that I like from plywood I didn't use anymore because they were all designed for the pinch or brace grip. So it is good to try all different designs because after 2 months of shooting I found my design that I really love.

No worries let me know about the Scout XT either way good to have you in the group.

Cheers
Awesome information. I've seen numerous Scout recommendations. I'm pretty sure that's an offer I can't refuse ????. I'll check with my wife (boss?????) and let you know ASAP. I could possibly change my mind, but I really like pinch grip so far. I'll get back to you later. Thanks again!

Charles

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Sounds good no worries, I just figured it would be a good time to get rid of a $40 wall ornament. I found a third slingshot that's Hammer grip that I really like the design of that I made 5 of and don't need five Hammer grip of the same design. It's worth a try and it's very comfortable in the hand. I had half a sheet of plywood and nothing but time to keep trying different designs and different setups during a 1 month reduced hours because of covid-19 at my work. So I just had a Heyday with OSB plywood and epoxy and just tried all kinds of stuff.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
By canting I mean we are supposed to hold the frame vertical to the ground, so we don’t tilt the slingshot. Basically if you are shooting TTF and you tilt your slingshot forward you technically close the gap. Let me put in my terms‍♂ Let’s say you are driving down the road and you run off the road and hit a pole. Even though the poles are several feet apart, when you are going at an angle it changes the ? Someone jump in here and give me the word I need

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
By canting I mean we are supposed to hold the frame vertical to the ground, so we don’t tilt the slingshot. Basically if you are shooting TTF and you tilt your slingshot forward you technically close the gap. Let me put in my terms‍♂ Let’s say you are driving down the road and you run off the road and hit a pole. Even though the poles are several feet apart, when you are going at an angle it changes the ? Someone jump in here and give me the word I need

·
Registered
249 Posts
By canting I mean we are supposed to hold the frame vertical to the ground, so we don't tilt the slingshot. Basically if you are shooting TTF and you tilt your slingshot forward you technically close the gap. Let me put in my terms‍♂ Let's say you are driving down the road and you run off the road and hit a pole. Even though the poles are several feet apart, when you are going at an angle it changes the ? Someone jump in here and give me the word I need
I totally understand and agree with what you're saying. Knock on wood, I have a decent built in sense of level and square and keeping my forks as square as possible is something I think about every shot. I'm sure I'm off a few degrees, but it hasn't been a big issue so far (famous last words).

Charles

·
Registered
351 Posts
After reading and watching everything bill Hays says about TTF shooting I'm pretty confident that that's the way I'll always do most of my shooting. Aiming is relatively easy, hand slaps almost never happen, and it just seems to make sense to me. It also seems that RTS's are rare. OTT is obviously a viable way to shoot or so many people wouldn't use it and every sling maker wouldn't build them. I've done a few searches, but what's the primary reason you shoo
couldnt hit a barn door if i shot ttf, i need the bands or tubes stacking on themselves for that thin site line its everything to my shooting.maybe only having one good eye i dont no but ott rules for me i think the only slingshot that would knock out my tac hammer would be a ppmg+ ott thats the only other slingshot i would buy now

·
Registered
351 Posts
After reading and watching everything bill Hays says about TTF shooting I'm pretty confident that that's the way I'll always do most of my shooting. Aiming is relatively easy, hand slaps almost never happen, and it just seems to make sense to me. It also seems that RTS's are rare. OTT is obviously a viable way to shoot or so many people wouldn't use it and every sling maker wouldn't build them. I've done a few searches, but what's the primary reason you shoo
couldnt hit a barn door if i shot ttf, i need the bands or tubes stacking on themselves for that thin site line its everything to my shooting.maybe only having one good eye i dont no but ott rules for me i think the only slingshot that would knock out my tac hammer would be a ppmg+ ott thats the only other slingshot i would buy now

·
Registered
271 Posts
After reading and watching everything bill Hays says about TTF shooting I'm pretty confident that that's the way I'll always do most of my shooting.
There is logic in sticking with one style over the other, OTT or TTF, since consistency is key to shooting well and for most of us, I imagine, free time to practice is limited.

But before you pick I'd suggest shooting both styles for several weeks even if you find one style inherently more difficult. It may just take some time to click.

In my experience I find OTT suits an aimed shot better and TTF suits an instinctive shot better. So it could be a choice of matching your aiming style to style of slingshot.

Good question BTW.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.