Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past five years, my most enjoyable after work activity has been sending various consumables and big boy toys to Marines who are deployed to remote locations where the climate is often extreme. Slingshot technology is new to me. So I am seeking advice for the optimal slingshots to purchase.

Summer temperatures - very hot.
Winter temperatures - very cold.

Looks aren't important.
The ability to use pebbles for ammo is important.
Durability is critical, both for the frame and the bands.
Ease of replacing bands is important, tools may not be available.
Frequency of band replacement is a consideration.
Price is a consideration, my beer budget is already depleted by this activity.

Some very durable slingshots would be a great source of relaxation for these warriors when they are not outside the wire.

All suggestions for manufacturer, style, materials, etc. are most appreciated.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
The new scout by Flippinout with tubes would be pretty much bullet proof, the Rough and Ready line from A+ would be a very different but viable choice. Even the plain old basic TS1 from Trumark might be worth considering, all really depends on your budget....cause the choices are pretty much endless...even a plain old natural might fit the bill.

Reactions: CAS14

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The new scout by Flippinout with tubes would be pretty much bullet proof, the Rough and Ready line from A+ would be a very different but viable choice. Even the plain old basic TS1 from Trumark might be worth considering, all really depends on your budget....cause the choices are pretty much endless...even a plain old natural might fit the bill.
Thank you! I will investigate those options and proceed.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Why not go it a step further and ask everybody on the forum to donate a slingshot for the troops? I'd give one!
Ray's pouches last a crazy long time and these new linatex bands seem to be more durable than traditional rubber. Hopefully that translates to longer use.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a great idea capnjoe. I am reluctant to solicit contributions. I can't publicly post an FPO address for obvious OPSEC reasons. If there is a principle with this forum who would serve as the clearinghouse for such an effort, that might work. Today, I am emailing the C.O. For one of the ANGLICO units that I support, to ensure that he doesn't object. It seems to me unlikely that the minimal safety concerns would pose a problem, considering the extremely hazardous environment in which they operate.

Anyone willing to send a slingshot would be welcomed, but to be safe, let me hear back from LtCol B. first.

We could work this several ways. I can send anything I receive. But more fun for an individual is to become directly involved and ship directly, along with a note of encouragement and appreciation. But in order to give out an FPO address, I would need to vet each individual a bit. These Marines don't need any unwelcome surprises in the mail. I have done this before by means of a phone call in combination with checking other info for consistency, such as a FB profile, or maybe a SSF profile.

A USPS APO/FPO Flat Rate box costs just $13.45 to send around the world. They have been taking about ten days to arrive.

The situation is fluid and dangerous as the drawdown has begun. The addresses are changing more frequently, as the seven month rotations are no more.

I will get back with a response ASAP. Hopefully by Monday. I have a minor "procedure" on Tuesday and will be offline much of that day.

Thanks capnjoe.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
That is a great idea capnjoe. I am reluctant to solicit contributions. I can't publicly post an FPO address for obvious OPSEC reasons. If there is a principle with this forum who would serve as the clearinghouse for such an effort, that might work. Today, I am emailing the C.O. For one of the ANGLICO units that I support, to ensure that he doesn't object. It seems to me unlikely that the minimal safety concerns would pose a problem, considering the extremely hazardous environment in which they operate.

Anyone willing to send a slingshot would be welcomed, but to be safe, let me hear back from LtCol B. first.

We could work this several ways. I can send anything I receive. But more fun for an individual is to become directly involved and ship directly, along with a note of encouragement and appreciation. But in order to give out an FPO address, I would need to vet each individual a bit. These Marines don't need any unwelcome surprises in the mail. I have done this before by means of a phone call in combination with checking other info for consistency, such as a FB profile, or maybe a SSF profile.

A USPS APO/FPO Flat Rate box costs just $13.45 to send around the world. They have been taking about ten days to arrive.

The situation is fluid and dangerous as the drawdown has begun. The addresses are changing more frequently, as the seven month rotations are no more.

I will get back with a response ASAP. Hopefully by Monday. I have a minor "procedure" on Tuesday and will be offline much of that day.

Thanks capnjoe.
Thank you!! $14.00 to thank a Marine is nothing. You do your thing then make it a thread. I'm in for sure. I'm sure I won't be alone.
This could become a great new outlet for this community. Instead of giving to each other, let's give to our defenders.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I'm liking the idea of sending a soldier a frame, from whatever country you're from, we all have guys and gals serving overseas somewhere. Not sure on the logistics , but I'm sure we can figure it out.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know of but a few of those now serving in OEF, although some may withdraw in the coming months, I don't know.

This is not classified. NATO forces there include the Brits (and Scots) and the Georgians. ANGLICO supports those as well as the Afghans, although it may be that we are no longer supporting and training them based on media reports.

Slingshots are welcomed, but other support options are plentiful. If anyone just wants to support good organizations, I know of two that are very cost effective, relying heavily on local volunteer workers. Blue Star Mothers is great, I have seen their operation here in action.

MarineParents has a great operation too.

Both schedule shipping dates, lots of volunteers show up to form assembly lines to pack and label lots of boxes, and off they go.

I'd bet that most here have a neighbor, a relative, or a friend whose son or daughter are deployed. From them you can get an APO or FPO address, find out what is most needed, and get a lot of joy from sending them a few packages. You might be surprised at the items they apparently aren't adequately provided, like good boot socks and wet wipes (so they can "wash" on extended operations).

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Got both friends and family in service. None has asked about a slingshot. I'll talk to them about sending some stuff over.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got both friends and family in service. None has asked about a slingshot. I'll talk to them about sending some stuff over.
Thanks. If they are like my guys, they are out on ops, and then back inside the wire. That is when they sometimes have time to read, practice with the rifle, have wrestling matches, etc. for a few days. I plan to share some safety tips that I find here.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
During the Monday morning meeting at Camp Las Flores (Camp Pendleton) LtCol B. gave the go ahead. He thought this was a great idea. I've had a donation of two, and I'm placing an order for five more from one of our Sponsors as soon as we connect by phone. I plan to order more as well.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LVO and Sofreto, these Marines will have a lot of fun, and based on that article in the October issue of Guns Magazine, their marksmanship may improve as well. In addition to your assistance, I have purchased four SimpleShot Scouts to send and some replacement bands&pouches from Tex will be ordered today. I am getting excited.

In Vietnam, I got nothing. I received a box of cookies that my mom had sent, a year later back in school. They were dust. These guys will be extremely appreciative. If you have ever been deployed, you know what I mean. I will ask for pics but no guarantees.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BTW, flippinout have me some nice discounts on those Scouts for the Marines, and I am most appreciative.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is awesome. So how exactly do we become a part of this great deed?
Lot's of options. To send a slingshot(s) to my old unit, you can go through me or we can chat by phone enough that I know you are on our side. After minimal vetting, I can provide an address and info on how to send your own FPO box (that costs $13.45 at the post office).

Or, if you want to support units at random, there are many ways, including Blue Star Mothers and MarineParents.

PM me if you want more info.

I send a box or two every several weeks, as do many. The idea about slingshots occurred, as I was trying to think of something other than coffee, snacks, and cigars to send.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good idea - bad idea?

For the gifts that I ship to deployed Marines, I am thinking of a simple modification. I don't think this would weaken the slingshot, but you would know better.

This is a small hat/lapel pin for one of the units:
http://www.grunt.com/1st-anglico-fmf-hatpin

On the back is a pin, of course. I propose cutting off the pin to a shorter length, say 1/4", and drilling a hole in the shank of the slingshot. Superglue or Gorilla glue in the hole and on the back of the pin to secure it. And so, I'd have a custom slingshot for them. I just ordered some Scouts and a Flipper Starter Kit from Simple Shot. I'd try the wood first and then the others.

Good idea, bad idea?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oops
forgot about the rubber grip on the Scout - maybe no room

·
Engorged Member
363 Posts
That little pickle fork shooter that PFShooter shows in his hundreds of videos on youtube would be an ideal fit ... very small, superlight and slim so it can always be carried in a pocket. extremely cheap, durable tubes instead of more fragile bands, so weak that one could even use it against aggressive dogs with large, light ammo (sunbaked clay? turned wooden pellets?) without doing any damage ...

Reactions: CAS14
1 - 20 of 42 Posts