Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
Now isn't that pretty. At one time I had about a 100 board feet of that wood. -- Tex

·
Super Moderator
7,029 Posts
Ah,the wonderful Sapele-great wood! Nice to hear from you again Roger! How have you been Bud? I see you haven't lost your talent for making good looking frames! Flatband

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
Well done!!!!

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,144 Posts
Nice to hear from you again Wingshooter and nice work too.

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
Actually the Mahogany that I had was trim for a bank that was not used and was quite strong. I have seen some that is quite weak also, so the must be different grades of the stuff. I did notice that Wingshooter has the grain running the right direction for strength. Wingshooter did you put a couple of dowels though the handle also for strength? -- Tex

·
Premium Member
2,167 Posts
Actually the Mahogany that I had was trim for a bank that was not used and was quite strong. I have seen some that is quite weak also, so the must be different grades of the stuff. I did notice that Wingshooter has the grain running the right direction for strength. Wingshooter did you put a couple of dowels though the handle also for strength? -- Tex
Ive got some Mahogany what im making some catapults with, it is 3/4in thick, i cut a strip 6in long and 3/4in wide and hit it with a ball hammer and had to hit it a good few times to brake it, so a fork hit would be no bother, jeff

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
1,414 Posts
I LOVE the grain on that wood!

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks This was a cut of sample and it is 7/8 thick. I ran the grain straight thru the curve of the fork. I don't put dowels in the handles any more I make sure I have a good glue joint and allow it to set for 24 hours. I use titebond 3 for glue and it is stronger than the wood. Now I need to cut some bands and put her to work.

·
1,414 Posts
Just looked at some of the other slingshots you've posted on the forums, they're all great - have you ever considered going commercial?

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have sold a few slings but I am not interested in doing it full time to much like work!! Here are a few pics showing how I attach bands now. I don't cut grooves I use this packaging tape that has fiberglass strands in it. I clean the ends of fork and bands with alcohol. I lay the band so the top is slightly above the fork then wrap it a couple of times then I fold the band over and stretch it then wrap the tape around it a couple of more times. If it is done right it makes a good secure way of attaching the bands. I have not had any problems with this method. The pouch is one of flatbands he has a winner with this one. It is the best pouch I have used.
I took the mahogany out and shot it for awhile it is now part of the crew I always take two or three slings when i go stump shooting just in case. To much fun and so little time.

Attachments

·
1,414 Posts
I have sold a few slings but I am not interested in doing it full time to much like work!! Here are a few pics showing how I attach bands now. I don't cut grooves I use this packaging tape that has fiberglass strands in it. I clean the ends of fork and bands with alcohol. I lay the band so the top is slightly above the fork then wrap it a couple of times then I fold the band over and stretch it then wrap the tape around it a couple of more times. If it is done right it makes a good secure way of attaching the bands. I have not had any problems with this method. The pouch is one of flatbands he has a winner with this one. It is the best pouch I have used.
I took the mahogany out and shot it for awhile it is now part of the crew I always take two or three slings when i go stump shooting just in case. To much fun and so little time.
That's an interesting method of attachment, I've never heard of anyone using tape before, what happens if it gets wet? Also how do you engrave your slingshots? (Like the one depicted in your display picture of an eagle - I think it looks great.)

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Sam the engraving is done with wood burning tools. I live in the middle of the Mohave Desert so getting wet isn't something I worry about. I guess I will stick it in the pool for awhile and see what happens.
Here is a pic of the hawk and prey.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.