Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about flying in Europe and trying to bring some cheap steel ammo home with me.

Obviously it'll go in the checked in luggage, but the issue I expect is overall weight.

Did someone had an experience of flying with the 8 kg of 6mm steel balls in their luggage?)

If I'm happen to be in UK it'd be way cheaper for me to buy the giant bag of steel shots from https://ballsofsteelsussex.com/shop/ than trying to buy them in my country.

TLDR: who knows for sure whether or not it's possible to have 8 kg of steel balls in your checked in luggage while flying over Europe?

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
If its checked you'll have no problem - as long as your overall weight is under whats is allowed. I've taken with me on a few Euro flights (including banded frames)

Cabin luggage could be an issue.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
I think even checked luggage gets x-ray'ed and 8k of shot will look danged suspicious. Try dealing with the airlines agents and let them know whats what.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I think even checked luggage gets x-ray'ed and 8k of shot will look danged suspicious. Try dealing with the airlines agents and let them know whats what.
I don't have any experience of flying out of the UK with BB's in my luggage but I would be inclined to agree.

Some airports are more forgiving than others but there all pretty much on it compared to other countries.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Think of it as BB's not ammo = it's fine to check them in so long as they are all within weight etc.

Reece / balls of steel sussex give good pries and quick delivery. It does surprise me though that you can't get such good prices in Ukraine - i guess you could but you'd need to search out a bearing or hydraulic supplier of reasonable scale.

This reminds me, i need to order a bulk of 6mm.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
i agree that this can boil down to weight of this bag of ammo, or some risen brows as to what this is, but in my country it would be called "pulling the cat by its tail" - which is always dangerous and unnecessary, especially in the age of terrorism.

what would you say if you are a security officer facing a guy with some kilos of steel balls - psychologically, he/she is not trained to imagine what artistically you might need these for, but rather to see the possibility where this amount of steel balls is put in a container with some explosives which can be used to kill many people..

so my advice is: don's pull the cat by its tail.

cheers,

jazz

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Steel ball bearings would not be classed as "dangerous goods", but in this rather questionable era of international terrorism, 8 kg of such cargo might just draw some attention during the baggage scan at the airport.

You may want to inform the airline staff at check-in about what is inside the luggage concerned, along with the invoice of the purchase. You may need to open up the luggage to show them the actual content before they (or airport security staff) stick a security check confirmation sticker on it.

Don't necessarily bother mentioning that you need the steel ammo for slingshots, keep it plain and simple to avoid problems.

In principle, you should have no problems if you do as above.

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
There should be problem if you are willing to pay for the extra weight. Several years ago I was returning from an island in the North Sea where my Father was born and was packing a rather large stone from the house where my Father was born and raised.....there were no issues.

GP

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies!

You did convince me to limit my appetites for now, and check whether or not I can fly with the slingshot ammo with the actual airline security people.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts